Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Medical Specialties (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   HRT not working? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=654190)

• Apr 24, 2012, 09:18 PM
    amandaparker198
    HRT not working?
    I am 30 years old and I had my cervix, complete uterus, and both fallopian tubes removed in June 2011. I then had both ovaries removed in January 2012. Once the ovaries were removed I was put on HRT (a patch I change twice a week). It is not doing it's job and I feel the risks are going to out weigh the benefits once this whole thing is over because of my age. I have to continue HRT for 20 years. I already take medication for irregular heart rate and one for high cholesterol. I am also on numerous medications for migraines, bipolar, PTSD, social anxiety, GERD. Diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and other major medical issues run highly on both sides of my family. My grandmother now has a severe case of Dementia due to her long-term use of HRT ( she had a hysterectomy when she was 28). What would happen if I decided to NOT take HRT? Is there other options I could try or discuss with my doctor? Please help! I am scared!
  • Apr 24, 2012, 09:23 PM
    J_9
    Would it be possible for you to list each medication you take, how often you take it and the dosage of each? I might be able to help you more if I had that information.
  • Apr 24, 2012, 09:46 PM
    amandaparker198
    topamax 100mg 2x day
    tegretol 200mg 2x day
    prozac 20mg 2x day
    kolonopin 1mg 3x day
    pepcid 20mg 2x day
    toporol 25mg 1x day
    pravastatin 20mg 1x day
  • Apr 24, 2012, 09:54 PM
    J_9
    Has your doctor told you that HRT is required for you? Why did your doctor tell you that HRT was necessary?

Many times HRT is optional. I don't find an interaction with any of these medications.
  • Apr 24, 2012, 10:02 PM
    amandaparker198
    I was assuming I "needed" HRT because I am only 30 years old. There has to be alternate options though. Aren't there? I mean I already am taking Cholesterol medication and heart medication. Heart disease, diabetes, and other HRT risk factors already run highly in my family. I do not want to give them a boost.
  • Apr 24, 2012, 10:08 PM
    J_9
    What is the name of the HRT you are on?

Is there a history of any breast cancer in your family?
  • Apr 24, 2012, 10:12 PM
    J_9
    HRT is usually prescribed to reduce the symptoms that come along with menopause. Since you have not achieved menopause naturally, but surgically, there are other options available to you depending on your health.

For example, although I am a nurse, I am also a breast cancer survivor. My cancer is estrogen sensitive, so I cannot take HRT for my menopause, nor can I take herbal supplements. I do take Pristiq, which is an antidepressant but has been approved for treatment of menopausal symptoms.