Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   United Kingdom (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=520)
-   -   How to get a job when you're moving to a different town? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=629848)

• Jan 23, 2012, 03:23 PM
    DaniCalifornia
    How to get a job when you're moving to a different town?
    I'm looking to move in with my boyfriend this year, who lives in a different part of the UK, so it'd mean me moving. But there's something that's always confused me.

We're looking for a place, AND I'm looking for work there. At best I'll get Admin, Retail or Receptionist work. How can I make it so they both happen at the same time? I can hand out CV's when I visit and hope for a call. Do I let them know I'm looking for work so I can move there? What if I get the job, but not the place! (It's a cycle! I can't get the job if I don't live there, and I can't pay the rent without a job!)

I'm worried we'll move in, I don't get any interviews (Ptchh, I know, ME eh!) so he'll be paying all the bills, which he can't afford.

X Dani
  • Jan 23, 2012, 03:57 PM
    talaniman
    Any way you can use your boyfriends address as you put in applications and hope for interviews? I wouldn't quit my job and move, unless I HAVE another.

Save now and rough it in a motel, INN, or whatever until that first paycheck. That means LOOT in your pocket starting now. Bottom line, how much can you save while waiting for that interview/job?

Move for a sure thing, not a wish/hope/or a dream. SAVE< SAVE< SAVE!! 6 months survival money, at least!

Love don't pay the rent.
  • Jan 23, 2012, 04:07 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Not sure in your area but jobs are often hard to find, I will assume you don't work for a large company with branches in that area.

And travel for interviews is hard. How is he paying his bills now? Does he have a job?
  • Jan 23, 2012, 04:57 PM
    DaniCalifornia
    Chuck - I don't have a job at the moment any way. Been applying everywhere available for a year now. He lives with his mother at the moment. He does have a job, and a stable one, that's why it has to be me moving, not him. He would be able to pay for a while, but we wouldn't be able to afford more than a loaf of bread a week :L

Tal - I've only got emergency savings. Like £500. That's one month excluding other bills ¬¬ Other than that, until my next birthday or a magical acceptance for a job, I have no way of getting money in. however, there ARE jobs available in the town I'm moving to. It's not just "love" I'm moving for.
  • Jan 23, 2012, 06:01 PM
    talaniman
    I know you are moving for love, and to be together, but until you have money don't move. What does his mom say about hanging with her until you get on your feet?
  • Jan 24, 2012, 05:02 AM
    DaniCalifornia
    Tal I have no reason to lie for goodness sake. I'm currently living with my mother and love HER. Love is ONE of the many reasons. I prefer the town to my current ones. I'm not a fan of cities and I like villages. There are jobs available. The flats we're looking at are nice. And one of the main reasons, I'm 21 his year. And still living with my parent. I didn't enjoy justifying that, but there you go.

His mother is fine with it. His drunk stepdad, is not.
  • Jan 24, 2012, 05:28 AM
    Stratmando
    I would look in the Local Newspaper for Job Openings, and also if you can visit there and physically look for jobs that are close to his work. And if you can find a place nearby, you can reduce the cost of transportation.
    Good Luck
  • Jan 24, 2012, 05:38 AM
    DaniCalifornia
    Aye thank you. I go there once or twice a month for a week or so, so I'm able to actively LOOK.

Will an employer see it as a liability, that I don't live there yet? Is that a reason not to hire them?
  • Jan 24, 2012, 06:03 AM
    Stratmando
    A Bad Employer may Take advantage of the fact you NEED this JOB, and may try to take advantage of your situation.
    Look for a Good Employer as well as a good job.
  • Jan 24, 2012, 06:59 AM
    DaniCalifornia
    Thank you for your advice. I think I'll extend the types of jobs I'll be going for.
  • Jan 24, 2012, 07:27 AM
    Curlyben
    Dani, don't rule out the likes of Tescos etc, even if it's only a stop gap measure while you look for better alternatives..
    Saying that Waitrose is an excellent company to work for.
  • Jan 24, 2012, 07:33 AM
    DaniCalifornia
    That's true, money is money.
  • Jan 24, 2012, 07:37 AM
    Wondergirl
    Don't forget to apply at the local library (or a uni one, if there's one close by). :) Once my kids were in school all day, I had returned to the world and shelved books for a few months until I could find a "real" job--and ended up making a career out of library work.
  • Jan 24, 2012, 07:40 AM
    DaniCalifornia
    Ooh, you know, I never thought of that. I'll look online at the college nearby.
  • Jan 24, 2012, 07:47 AM
    Wondergirl
    Libraries, especially public ones, have a pretty high turnover rate, so give them your application anyway, even if you don't see an ad. They don't always advertise unless they can't promote from within. Your app could be just the ticket for them before they begin a formal search.