Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Hardware (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=465)
-   -   install amd radeon x850xt card (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=824707)

• May 14, 2016, 10:47 PM
    vessel
    install amd radeon x850xt card
    I have a amd radeon x850xt card in my computer and was running windows xp until Google chrome stopped updates switched to mint linux 17.3 but could not install video drivers, bought windows 7 and tried to install drivers but again drivers would not install. If any one has a way to get these drivers to work in mint or windows 7 would be very appreciated.. Thank you
  • May 15, 2016, 01:05 AM
    Curlyben
    Try the latest catalyst drivers, available with an auto detect function here: AMD Driver Autodetect
  • May 15, 2016, 09:36 AM
    vessel
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Try the latest catalyst drivers, available with an auto detect function here: AMD Driver Autodetect

The amd autodetect says there are no drivers available for windows 7 64 bit
  • May 15, 2016, 11:08 AM
    smoothy
    With the price of decent quality Video cards today... just for the aggravation savings alone... might be worth considering researching the recent generation of cards to find something with the price/performance ratio you can live with. I've had to make that decision a number of times over the last few decades for the very same reasons. Driver availability.
  • May 15, 2016, 08:16 PM
    vessel
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    With the price of decent quality Video cards today... just for the aggravation savings alone... might be worth considering researching the recent generation of cards to find something with the price/performance ratio you can live with. I've had to make that decision a number of times over the last few decades for the very same reasons. Driver availability.

Thank you I might have to consider that option
  • May 16, 2016, 07:24 AM
    CravenMorhead
    Not the Ideal situation, but you might consider the Vista 64bit driver. I have had some luck with Vista drivers on Win 7 machines.

That being said remember that, while this was an awesome graphics card, it is over 12 years old. I am with smoothy on this one, it is probably time to do an upgrade, especially if your hardware is that era as well.
  • May 16, 2016, 08:16 AM
    vessel
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    Not the Ideal situation, but you might consider the Vista 64bit driver. I have had some luck with Vista drivers on Win 7 machines.

That being said remember that, while this was an awesome graphics card, it is over 12 years old. I am with smoothy on this one, it is probably time to do an upgrade, especially if your hardware is that era as well.

Thank you I tried the vista 64 bit but that did not work either
  • May 16, 2016, 03:00 PM
    cdad
    Did you install both pieces of software or just 1 ?

Legacy
  • May 16, 2016, 07:41 PM
    vessel
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Did you install both pieces of software or just 1 ?Legacy

I tried to install the vista 64 bit because windows 7 was not an option on the amd website and then tried to let it detect my operating system and it said that there was drivers for my operating system. I have been very happy with the amd card. My computer is as follows GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V REV1.0 board Intel i3 2120 3.30 GHz proc ANTEC 620 POWER SUPPLY AMD Radeon X850XT graphic card kingston solid state hardrive
  • May 17, 2016, 07:17 AM
    CravenMorhead
    I would really consider upgrading at this point, it isn't worth the hassle in my opinion.
  • May 17, 2016, 08:35 AM
    vessel
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    I would really consider upgrading at this point, it isn't worth the hassle in my opinion.

Thank you I think your right
  • May 17, 2016, 01:37 PM
    Appzalien
    I keep an offline XP machine just for a few older games and some photo editing. Sometimes you need to do that for some older hardware as well, like printers or TV recording hardware that do not have drivers for the newer operating systems. So don't give up on that AMD card just yet. Maybe you could build your own box later on.
  • May 17, 2016, 06:22 PM
    vessel
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    I keep an offline XP machine just for a few older games and some photo editing. Sometimes you need to do that for some older hardware as well, like printers or TV recording hardware that do not have drivers for the newer operating systems. So don't give up on that AMD card just yet. Maybe you could build your own box later on.

Thank you for the advice I have two hardrives in my computer the larger non ssd hardrive I use for my photos, music and misc programs, I am running windows xp . The ssd is the one I use for web surfing and its only 32 gb and put nothing on that drive to keep it running as fast as possible. I am not sure if I can have two video cards in my computer so that I can keep the amd card on the windows xp hardrive