Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Health & Wellness (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Can a doctor tell if your having sex? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=109711)

• Jul 13, 2007, 03:30 PM
    launikalinda
    Can a doctor tell if your having sex?
    I'm suppose to be going to the doctor and I might get a pap-smear and can a doctor tell if you are having sex from that? And will they tell your parents since I'm 17?
  • Jul 13, 2007, 03:34 PM
    darkness1970us
    They may not be able to tell, but the results of the test can be inaccurate if you don't inform you doctor. ALWAYS be honest with your doctor.

In answer to your second question. He might, but as a general rule (in order to encourage honesty from their patients) they won't. I'm not certain if you fall under doctor/patient confidentiality as a minor.

One way or the other, though, TELL YOUR DOCTOR.
  • Jul 13, 2007, 03:37 PM
    J_9
    First let me congratulate you on taking your health into your own hands and getting your yearly exam. That is awsome and you should be proud of yourself.

Now, the doctor cannot tell if you are having sex strictly by an exam, but he is sure to ask, so be sure to tell the truth.

Lastly, no he cannot tell your parents. This is called the HIPAA Act. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. What you say to the doctor is private.
  • Jul 13, 2007, 03:39 PM
    nauticalstar420
    The fact that you are having sex will not cause an abnormal papsmear. If that were the case we'd all have abnormal paps. The doctor can see if your hymen has been broken, but a tampon can break it, along with trauma to the groin.

From what I remember, just from being to the doctor, the doctor/patient confidentiality does not apply if you are a minor. I could be wrong, so don't quote me on that.

But darkness is correct, you should ALWAYS be honest with your doctor. Remember, he/she is the one that takes care of your health and wellness.
  • Jul 13, 2007, 03:40 PM
    saraispiel19
    If penetrαtion wαs within 24 or 48 hours they cαn tell-- well thαts whαt I heαrd... otherwise no becαuse there αre people with umm "wide VJ's"

Depends where you αre -- but when your over 16 usuαlly the tell you αheαd of time or αsk for your consent.
  • Jul 24, 2007, 03:35 AM
    Kadehadaire
    Where do you live? In the UK the doctor cannot tell your parents unless you have given consent.
  • Jul 24, 2007, 04:16 AM
    Capuchin
    This practice dates back to 2400 years ago, when the Hippocratic Oath was authored. All licensed doctors will be under a similar oath, somewhat modified to recent times, but still includes a statement about not divulging information that is acquired through their job.
  • Jul 24, 2007, 04:06 PM
    launikalinda
    Right now I live in Texas but I might be moving to New York
  • Jul 24, 2007, 04:07 PM
    J_9
    A doctor has what is called patient/doctor privilege. He cannot discuss your health care with anyone without your consent. That does include minors, in your particular situation.

However, if it is a 10 year old that is sick and needs surgery, well that is a different matter.