Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Emotional Wellbeing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=207)
-   -   Showing emotions (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=798354)

• Aug 3, 2014, 06:22 PM
    DIAMONDD88
    Showing emotions
    Does anybody else get frustrated for not being able to express their feelings properly?

I find it hard to openly show someone how truly angry/upset/frustrated I am towards them, and to be able to get that feeling of 'getting it off your chest'.
    Instead, I tend to overthink about it after the situation has finished. Becoming frustrated for not being able to express myself.

I find that people tend to disregard my feelings because of this.
  • Aug 3, 2014, 06:42 PM
    talaniman
    Maybe it's a good thing you don't express anger and upset when you are feeling it, but you can work on how to get it off your chest AFTER you have cooled off and can think calmly. Then you can express yourself calmly. Have you ever tried that?
  • Aug 3, 2014, 06:53 PM
    The Black Lotus
    I get the same but only with sadness I find it really hard to cry I can feel like I am almost about to cry then I just cant in the past 4 months I have probably cried twice
    And that was under extreme circumstances so I know how you feel and you are not alone honestly I don't know why you cant express your emotions and I know it can be really frustrating but I wouldn't worry about it too much
  • Aug 3, 2014, 07:02 PM
    DIAMONDD88
    I think it's a good thing to express your feelings whatever they may be. I don t like to get involved in another confrontation (or an enitial one) due to the frustration it will cause me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Black Lotus View Post
    I get the same but only with sadness I find it really hard to cry I can feel like I am almost about to cry then I just cant in the past 4 months I have probably cried twice
    And that was under extreme circumstances so I know how you feel and you are not alone honestly I don't know why you cant express your emotions and I know it can be really frustrating but I wouldn't worry about it too much

Last time I can only remember truly crying was in 2003, when my nan died. I think I may have cried after that at some point, but I'm not sure. I don't know if its because I'm hard wired or what..
  • Aug 3, 2014, 07:35 PM
    The Black Lotus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DIAMONDD88 View Post
    Last time I can only remember truly crying was in 2003, when my nan died. I think I may have cried after that at some point, but I'm not sure. I don't know if its because I'm hard wired or what..

Your not weird maybe nothing sad enough has happened to get that response but wow that is a long time not to cry and I am sorry to hear about your nan
  • Aug 3, 2014, 07:38 PM
    DIAMONDD88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by The Black Lotus View Post
    Your not weird maybe nothing sad enough has happened to get that response but wow that is a long time not to cry and I am sorry to hear about your nan

It does feel good to have a good cry though. Makes you feel alive in a way. Thank you for your sympathy. Very nice of you
  • Aug 3, 2014, 08:04 PM
    smearcase
    I agree with tal's suggestion. Angry comments especially are rarely effective. Depends on many different situations though and sometimes a comment must be challenged immedaitely as the adrenaline takes over. But generally speaking, the adage about losing the argument as soon as you lose your temper is pretty accurate. Before having to give depositions we were instructed to not let the opposing lawyers get under our skin, and that it was sometimes a ploy to get the person being questioned to give more information than was necessary while they were upset.
  • Aug 3, 2014, 08:04 PM
    The Black Lotus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DIAMONDD88 View Post
    It does feel good to have a good cry though. Makes you feel alive in a way. Thank you for your sympathy. Very nice of you

yer sometimes you just need to have a good cry and I guess it shows that you care about something and its okay man I love making people feel better because it also makes me feel better plus I understand what it is like I lost my nan a couple of years ago and after a while I just stopped crying I haven't had a good cry in ages so trust me dude you are not alone
  • Aug 3, 2014, 08:52 PM
    DIAMONDD88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    I agree with tal's suggestion. Angry comments especially are rarely effective. Depends on many different situations though and sometimes a comment must be challenged immedaitely as the adrenaline takes over. But generally speaking, the adage about losing the argument as soon as you lose your temper is pretty accurate. Before having to give depositions we were instructed to not let the opposing lawyers get under our skin, and that it was sometimes a ploy to get the person being questioned to give more information than was necessary while they were upset.

So is it best to not be emotional when dealing with confrontations?
  • Aug 4, 2014, 06:00 AM
    talaniman
    Its best to temper your emotions with thoughtful self control, so they may be expressed in clear understandable ways for you, AND those that you express them too. That lessens the chances of being misunderstood, or FEEL disregarded.