Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Real Estate Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   How do I go about selling my time share? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=812336)

• May 29, 2015, 10:16 AM
    famfun911
    How do I go about selling my time share?
    We would like to sell our time share. How do we go about selling it? And do we have to pay any up front fee?
  • May 29, 2015, 10:18 AM
    ballengerb1
    Selling a time share is not the easiest of things to do but there are companies that specialize in it. Solutions for Timeshare Owners | Timeshare Luxury
  • May 29, 2015, 02:44 PM
    ma0641
    Some people try Craigslist. Unless it is prime time and you want to take a loss, you will probably not have much luck.
  • May 29, 2015, 05:24 PM
    odinn7
    I have a time share...a few years ago we looked into selling it. It's not worth it as you will take a huge loss. We decided to just stick it out since it's paid for already.

As far as selling it, you can contact the company you bought it from or try what others here mentioned. Be prepared to get offered about $12.
  • May 30, 2015, 02:26 AM
    joypulv
    Easiest to sell through the management company for the resort it's in.
    My parents walked away from a timeshare. It wasn't selling and the annual fees weren't worth keeping it.
  • May 30, 2015, 05:17 AM
    ScottGem
    Since there are many time shares still in selling mode, the second hand market for them is not very strong.

However, if you have a deeded share, it would work the same as selling any real estate.
  • May 30, 2015, 10:03 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Agreed, most people can never sell them. Some donate them to a charity, there are some places that take them and then use them for fund rasing.

But you will at best, get about 5 or 10 cents on the dollar, for your investment.
  • Jun 1, 2015, 07:56 AM
    AK lawyer
    OP has not indicated why he or she desire to sell the time-share, but typically there are several reasons, including one or more of the following:
    The owner no longer wants to spend vacation time at the same place;
    The property has deteriorated; and
    No one else wants to rent your time-share, even only at the price you are paying for maintenance.

In the appropriate case, it might make sense to join with some or all of the other owners and bring an action for partition of the property (or sell it outright if all the other owners can join in). The property may be worth significantly more than the cumulative value of the time-shares.
  • Jun 1, 2015, 10:40 AM
    joypulv
    Sadly, renting out at 'only' the price of maintenance is often a thing of the past. Management companies have jacked up those fees disproportionately over the years, with no competition, and often there are no owner associations willing to wrestle the job away from them and hire another.