Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Human Resources (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Reasonable Adjustments for Disabled Employees (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=824439)

• May 5, 2016, 05:29 AM
    JohnMcI
    Reasonable Adjustments for Disabled Employees
    A relative of mine is classed as disabled and is having a number of issues with her current employer, a large international bank. They were referred to an occupational health professional who highlighted some recommendations to the company to make reasonable adjustments to their working environment.

This happened roughly twelve months ago and they have indicated that some of the adjustments have not been made, but some have. I have tried researching a time scale for when an organisation should implement these adjustments and can't seem to find any UK case law, I have maybe not looked hard enough. Would a 12 month period be too long in terms of implementation and therefore be unlawful?

I'd very much appreciate some advice on this matter so that I can help my relative.

Thanks in advance.
  • May 5, 2016, 05:49 AM
    joypulv
    A lot depends on whether or not the recommendations were part of a legal order.
    It is almost always difficult to give advice to someone who isn't the person the situation is about.
    I can imagine that there is no country that has laws that state what a reasonable time line is, given the huge range of work any given implementation might require.
    That means a hearing before a disability labor board, or a formal complaint filed.
    Given how long those processes can take, it's possible that the employer is stalling until ordered to comply.
  • May 5, 2016, 06:02 AM
    JohnMcI
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    A lot depends on whether or not the recommendations were part of a legal order.
    It is almost always difficult to give advice to someone who isn't the person the situation is about.
    I can imagine that there is no country that has laws that state what a reasonable time line is, given the huge range of work any given implementation might require.
    That means a hearing before a disability labor board, or a formal complaint filed.
    Given how long those processes can take, it's possible that the employer is stalling until ordered to comply.

Thank you joypulv, indeed I appreciate that as I am not the effected person I can not be useful in terms of further information. I see what you are saying though and as I imagine as they might not have been legal requirements and more professional advice, I suppose they may not need to carry out all of the implementations.

I have said to my relative that I would need to see the Occupational Health professionals documents to see what was advised, but that they should really bring this to the attention of there HR department firstly.
  • May 5, 2016, 08:13 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    Just because they were recommended, does not mean that the company will view them as reasonable. Reasonable is not a "for sure" issue. The cost of the changes, how it will affect other workers or customers all have to be considered.

I have seen many places merely refuse some changes, because the company feels they are not reasonable.
    The employee may have to sue in court to get those changes court ordered.

Also it is not the Occupational professional that determines if it is reasonable, they only make the recommendations medically needed.