Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dogs (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Cloudy spots on my dogs eye (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=4055)

• Aug 29, 2003, 04:11 PM
    jblomgren
    Cloudy spots on my dogs eye
    I have a very healthy 5 year old male boxer mix. About 4 months ago I noticed a small cloudy spot on on his right eye. We immediately took him to the vet. They stated that it was not ulcers, glacoma, or cataracs, but a mineral deposit. They suggested changing his food and checking the eye regularly. It has been 4 months and the spot has doubled in size and a spot is starting to develop in the left eye as well. The vet doesn't seem to have any better answers for me at this time. Is there anything that can be done to cure this or prevent the situation from getting worse??
  • Aug 29, 2003, 04:57 PM
    labman
    This sounds like cataracts to me. Perhaps you need a second opinion. Maybe even a casual check with a vet at some of the larger pet stores. It certainly sounds time for stronger action.
  • Feb 16, 2004, 06:41 AM
    EVS
    I would agree with some of the answers, that it could be cataracs, however it could also be a fly that lays its eggs on the animals eyes and could it cause blindness if left untreated.
  • Jan 27, 2008, 05:04 PM
    cornell01
    We recently acquired an aussie pup and he now has a white spot on his iris. It is highly probable that it is the result of the pigment change from puppy to adult. This is common if the parents had merle coloring.

Try this site for more info... Aussie Eye Color and Eyeshine
    Good luick
  • Apr 18, 2008, 08:13 PM
    Crayonsetc
    I have a 4 year old German/Australian Shepherd mix and she is having the same problem. I noticed the spot on her right eye about week ago, and tonight I noticed that it is now in her left eye. I am wanting to take her to the vet tomorrow, dh wants to wait a few days since the right eye seems to have improved.

Did you ever find anything out??

Thanks,
    Les
    (mom to Kyra... my 4 yr old big baby :))
  • Apr 19, 2008, 01:34 PM
    cornell01
    Our pup has white pigment in the eye. It is common and not a problem. The first vet that saw our dog suggested tests that indicated that he believed that the problems were external. He was wrong. You indicate that you recently saw the cloudiness and my experience is limited to it being congential.
  • Apr 19, 2008, 02:14 PM
    cornell01
    Our pup has white pigment in the eye. It is common and not a problem. The first vet that saw our dog suggested tests that indicated that he believed that the problems were external. He was wrong. You indicate that you recently saw the cloudiness and my experience is limited to it being congential.
  • Oct 4, 2009, 07:48 AM
    Daiseymae
    I have a Spaniel - has a cloudy spot in each eye - she is very healthy. Vet says it is a protein deposit - not cataracts. Her vision seems to be fine