Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Religion (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=425)
-   -   Jehovahs Witnesses re marriage and clothing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=124515)

• Aug 30, 2007, 09:57 PM
    bobgiovanni
    Jehovahs Witnesses re marriage and clothing
    Can Jehovahs Witnesses receive wedding gifts?
    Can female Jehovahs Wintesses wear pants?
  • Sep 2, 2007, 06:06 PM
    Lolamae
    I am studying to be a Jehovah's Witness and I wear pants all the time and so does other females in the congregation. Yes, they do receive wedding gifts.
  • Sep 2, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Lenovo
    I AM a Jehovah's Witness, and yes, witnesses can received wedding gifts, in fact most of them do. And as for the pants thing, if they couldn't what else would they wear? Yes, women CAN wear pants, there is nothing stating they can't. I am curious though as to where you heard that...
  • Sep 2, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    I have been the guest to a few JW weddings, they are nice services, nothing much different than one I may do myself. And yes gifts are allowed ( and expected in the cases where I went)
    I would not wear pants to a formal wedding of any religion, but then that is your choice
  • Oct 27, 2007, 01:31 PM
    jedd
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobgiovanni
    Can Jehovahs Witnesses receive wedding gifts?
    Can female Jehovahs Wintesses wear pants?

Yes and yes
  • Jul 3, 2010, 02:54 PM
    tgshcc
    All of the above answers are correct. There is nothing wrong with giving a new couple gifts to set up their household. Women are allowed to wear slacks --the problem would be if someone was deliberately trying to pass for someone of the opposite sex. Formal affairs, such as meeting attendance, and weddings, people would wesr dress clothes == men suits, including ties, coats and women wear dresses, skirts.
  • Apr 2, 2011, 07:14 PM
    Jlouise
    I don't know what congregation you are in - but over here in PA not one woman will dare to wear pants to any meetings. I mentioned that I heard one NJ congreg. In Hudson County being allowed to wear dress slacks; and they assured me that I must have heard "wrong" - - that no elders would make such an announcement - and I was told that (they are still in the dark ages) for the skirt rule - it is still strictly discouraged for any women to wear pants/slacks to meetings. I am curious to know what congregation women wear pants and what is the percentage of the women - because it makes me SO UNEASY to put a skirt on - in this day and age - it feels like going out in public in a horse and buggy vs. getting in a normal car. I make this statement because if we have moved on in styles / we should dress where we are "modest" yet formal. I feel embarrassed to go out of my house in a skirt as I would feel embarrassed to go out in a skirt ANYwhere / I feel like I am amish or something. It's just not "me" to wear a skirt.
  • Jan 27, 2012, 02:33 PM
    janeghhj34
    I study with jehovahs witness and I go to their meetings in my jeans and everyone is so friendly and nice.