Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cats (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Is there hope for this little guy (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=372557)

• Jul 6, 2009, 10:49 AM
    jenniepepsi
    Is there hope for this little guy
    A stray cat gave birth to kittens this weekend in a tree behind our apartment. The mother came back and took 2 of them. But left the 'runt' probably because she didn't feel he was going to make it. He is EXTREAMLY tiny. BUT seems to be in good health otherwise. He is eating (pet milk through a kitten bottle) and peeing like a champ. He is about 4 days old. His umbillical cord just came off yesterday (his mother didn't chew it off, she just sort of left him to fend for himself) we took him in because it was 106* outside and he surely would have died.

My question is, with him being a runt, being 4 days old, and having been left alone in the heat for so long, could he still have a chance? He mews nice and loud. And climbs around and nuzzles for nipples and all the good signs. But I've never 'nursed' a kitten before. Puppys yes, but not kittens. Especially not a runt kitten.
  • Jul 6, 2009, 10:58 AM
    shazamataz

Sounds like he is going strong if he is moving around and has a good set of lungs on him.

Just keep an eye out for laboured/raspy breathing as well as eye problems.

I imagine it would be very similar to raising a young pup, feed every few hours, stimulate with a wet cloth so he urinates and defacates.

Are you going to keep him?
  • Jul 6, 2009, 11:00 AM
    jenniepepsi

My mom wants him :p but I might fight her for him. He is all white. And SOOO cute. Hehe. He is so young! His eyes are still closed and his ears don't even pop up unless he is eating :P then they sort of go up and down.

He isn't pooping yet. Should we be worried about that do you think? He pees amlost ALL the time, but no poop yet at all.
  • Jul 6, 2009, 11:05 AM
    shazamataz

I would be a little worried about the pooping.
    Just use a warm rag and keep rubbing him bottom, make sure he is in a comfortable position while you are doing it.
    I remember years ago we had a runt puppy that the mother rejected and we had to go through all this... just trying to jog my memory!
  • Jul 6, 2009, 11:06 AM
    jenniepepsi

OK thanks hon :D
  • Jul 6, 2009, 11:07 AM
    shazamataz

You know there must be pictures right :D
  • Jul 6, 2009, 11:21 AM
    jenniepepsi

Not yet lol. He is at my moms place cause we live in an apartmetn and are not allowed to have pets without paying gfor them first. But I can probably find a picture that looks like him.

Let me look...

Here we go :D this looks exactly like him/her except the ears are down completely against his head.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/217/5...9e4d9e8f9f.jpg
  • Jul 6, 2009, 11:25 AM
    shazamataz

Awwwww, he's so tiny :)
  • Jul 6, 2009, 11:27 AM
    jenniepepsi

He is even tiner than this. This picture is a pic of an average sized newborn I think. The kitten we have fits in my daughters 5 year old hands! He is so tiny. I'm just glad he is just tiny. He doesn't seem to be showing any signs of weakness or anything. Just no poop.
  • Jul 7, 2009, 09:01 AM
    Ren6
    How to Raise Orphan Kittens

Here's a link. Cow or goat's milk shouldn't be used. The article recommends cat milk replacer from a veterinarian. Also, they should be "stimulated" to pee and poop after every feeding. It tells how. Good luck, and keep us posted! :)
  • Jul 7, 2009, 10:19 AM
    jenniepepsi

Oooh thanks! He is now pooping! Hehe
  • Jul 7, 2009, 10:39 AM
    Unknown008

Wow, that's very tiny... I didn't expect it to be as small as that! Glad that it is doing good Jennie! :)
  • Jul 7, 2009, 10:40 AM
    jenniepepsi

Do you guys think we can clip his nails? The only thing I can find on it is clipping their nails after a month old. But can you do it BEFORE that? I know how to clip without hitting the quick. So no worries about that. But I don't want to do it too soon. His nails are NEEDLE sharp though lol
  • Jul 8, 2009, 07:07 AM
    Ren6
    They do have sharp little nails, but I'd hold off until he's a bit older. If he's that tiny, it would be difficult to miss the quick. Just wait until those "needle sharp" teeth come in... good times! :) Glad he's pooping, keep up the good work!
  • Jul 8, 2009, 10:07 AM
    jenniepepsi

Hehe. Yeah I can't wait till his teeth come in. he is already showing that he is a vigorous biter :P he gums us to death when he eats :P I know it's a natural rooting process but I do NOT envy mother cats! At least my newborn didn't bite DOWN! (at least until she was older)
  • Jul 8, 2009, 10:12 AM
    redhed35

Just following the thread.
    That kitten has gorgeous!
    Any names picked yet,and how are the others doing?
  • Jul 8, 2009, 10:23 AM
    jenniepepsi

He is midget :P he is doing great. Starting to try walking, already climbs up shirts when he is getting fed. We still don't evne know if it's a boy or a girl. But we are hoping for boy, because my mom already has 2 boy cats. Throwing a girl in there wouldn't be good
  • Jul 8, 2009, 10:26 AM
    redhed35

Midget.. thats brillent,he will probably grow into a massive tom! Or massive she cat.
  • Jul 8, 2009, 10:28 AM
    jenniepepsi

Haha yeah your right. He is midget now, but he will be HUGE just because we named him midget :P
  • Jul 8, 2009, 05:54 PM
    Ren6
    Please keep us posted about Midget... and post some pics when you are able!