Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cats (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Increased ammonia smell in urine (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=161366)

• Dec 10, 2007, 05:20 PM
    c_y0rk3
    Increased ammonia smell in urine
    I have 3 cats. All nuetered. One of them has urine that has the most potent ammonia smell I've ever been exposed to. I know he's not missing the box. The smell is the worst if one of his clumps break apart during scooping so I know it's not because of the box or the litter. He's perfectly healthy, no infections, not dehydrated, perfectly normal in every other way. Every website I visit blames it on spraying, dehydration, the plastic in the box is soakin it up, etc. I know for a FACT it is none of this and I can't seem to get a good answer. Please help!
  • Dec 10, 2007, 05:40 PM
    stonewilder
    My sister had a cat like that as well as my son does. I just assumed it was a male thing since my female cats urine is not that bad. I don't know.
  • Dec 10, 2007, 05:51 PM
    rpg219
    Not a male thing, my female is like this too
  • Dec 15, 2007, 08:25 PM
    cindarama
    Comment on rpg219's post
    Not an answer
  • Dec 15, 2007, 08:30 PM
    cindarama
    Quote:

Originally Posted by c_y0rk3
    I have 3 cats. All nuetered. One of them has urine that has the most potent ammonia smell I've ever been exposed to. I know he's not missing the box. The smell is the worst if one of his clumps break apart during scooping so I know it's not because of the box or the litter. He's perfectly healthy, no infections, not dehydrated, perfectly normal in every other way. Every website I visit blames it on spraying, dehydration, the plastic in the box is soakin it up, etc. I know for a FACT it is none of this and I can't seem to get a good answer. Please help!

I'm looking for an answer to the same question.
  • Dec 15, 2007, 08:42 PM
    oneguyinohio
    My idea about this is that it might have something to do with the diet. Take a look at this link about the amonia problem for people, and then apply that to cats.

Bodybuilding.com - Jeremy Likness - What Is That Ammonia Smell When I Sweat?

Not all of your cats will process the foods the same way, so each will be affected differently.
  • Dec 15, 2007, 08:44 PM
    Wondergirl
    Is the cat male? If so, he may have been neutered after he became sexually mature. (Do you know?) If he was neutered before the age of six months, he may just have that odor in his chemical makeup.

If he urinates only in the litterbox, it sounds like it's not that big of a problem. You'll just have to scoop at least once a day.

I have a neutered male cat with strong-smelling urine. There are two more neutered males that use the same boxes. I scoop litter every evening and wash the pans thoroughly once a week (or more often). If I don't, the urine smell smacks me in the face when I come into the house from work.

P.S. I notice it makes a difference when I use certain brands and compositions of litter. The best for us so far seems to be a scoopable litter that has chlorophyll crystals mixed in it. I will post the brand name if you wish.