Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Job Hunting (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   Need a job have 2 Felonies (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=147510)

• Nov 1, 2007, 02:56 PM
    otside1
    Need a job have 2 Felonies
    Where can I get a job anywhere with the felonies on my record?
  • Nov 1, 2007, 03:56 PM
    peggyhill
    What kind of felonies are they? I'm sure you can find a job of some sort. You could look online and see what the requirements are at companies you are interested in. Also, how long ago were you convicted? Depending on where you live, and on the type of felony, they may drop off your record after a certain amount of time. I know in some states it's 7 years. But, it depends on the type. Like, if it was a DUI, it will drop off after so long provided you don't get another, but if it is something violent, like sexual assault, you will be on a registry, so it won't. In some states, the felonies stay on your record no matter what. If the felonies were alcohol/drug related, you might also go to AA or Narcotics Anonymous. They might be able to give you some good advice as far as finding jobs, how to explain the felonies, etc.
  • Nov 5, 2007, 02:53 PM
    nazukeoya
    How I Got A Job As A Felon:

I recently was sentenced in August/2007 for software piracy, putting a felony on my record. I graduated in 2004 with a degree in Graphic Design.

2 months after I was sentenced, I was offered a job doing graphic design work for a prominent dentist office in my area. I told them of the felony and explained what happened and they were OK with it in the end. The #1 reason I got the job was because of God. I give Him all the glory. But even with God's help, I had to put the effort into getting the job. This was my strategy:

First impressions. I knew that there is a prejudice against felons. So I knew that the only way past this prejudice was to have the employer meet me as a person, and get them to like me. I acted nice and curteous to them. I knew that if their first impression of me was of a nice and talented guy, then when I told them of my felony, instead of viewing my felony through their prejudice, they would view my felony through my good first impression.

The problem is that on normal job apps you have to put down the felony. So what I did was apply to places where I just had to email them a resume, no application. So I got a call, interviewed, they offered me the position, I gave them a yes 2 days later and told them of the felony then, a week later they called to say that everything checked out well.

Manipulation is the key. Go for jobs where you don't have to send in a normal application. That way you can choose the right time to tell them of the felony.
  • Jun 16, 2008, 09:13 AM
    JudyKayTee
    You have posted this same site 9 times while explaining that you get paid for "on line services" and are featured on the site -

I further note sometimes you are handicapped and other times you are a convicted felon.

These posts should be pulled as they serve no one's interest but your own.
  • Jun 29, 2008, 08:06 PM
    Prince 711
    Quote:

Originally Posted by otside1
    Where can I get a job anywhere with the felonies on my record?

There are ways for you to get around your felonies... you have to get a certificate... I don't have the name with me but I know for 100% you can get around it... you have to ask around about this certificate I think its named certificate of disability... look it up its something like that...
  • Jul 24, 2008, 02:16 PM
    JudyKayTee
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post - Prince 711 disagrees: you are wrong... i know what i am talking about i found the paper... its named Certificate of Relief From Disabilties and another is Certificate of Good Conduct... Thank you for your concern I think you should only be concerned about what you write.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't talking to you - I was talking to the fellow who was running the job site and selling job leads. All of his posts were pulled. I posted on June 16; you first posted on June 30 - duhh - so maybe I wasn't talking to you about something you had not yet posted and would not post for another 14 days.

Did you post the same thing 9 times? Do you run a job site on the Internet? If not - well, then it's pretty clear that I wasn't talking to you.

Your reddie and sarcasm are completely unwarranted and unnecessary. I do not understand your attitude when my post CLEARLY didn't address anything you've posted.

I am in NYS, I work with the system sometimes so, yes, I know what you are talking about.

You have badly misused this board and as far as I know it's not even a "revenge reddie" because I had no idea who you were or what your concerns/problems are until I read this comment and looked at your other posts.
  • Jul 24, 2008, 02:34 PM
    twinkiedooter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince 711
    there are ways for you to get around your felonies... you have to get a certificate... i dont have the name with me but i know for 100% you can get around it... you have to ask around about this certificate i think its named certificate of disability... look it up its something like that...

I am not aware of any Certificates such as you speak of. What country or what state do these certificates come from? In the USA there are no such certificates that are issued for a felony conviction that negates the conviction. Maybe these exist in other countries, but not in the US. Sorry. In the US there are expungements of felonies.
  • Jul 24, 2008, 02:40 PM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    I am not aware of any Certificates such as you speak of. What country or what state do these certificates come from? In the USA there are no such certificates that are issued for a felony conviction that negates the conviction. Maybe these exist in other countries, but not in the US. Sorry. In the US there are expungements of felonies.

It's a NYS thing - it basically says that you've committed a crime, finished up your probation (or sentence) and the State blieves you have been rehabbed. The theory is that you present it to prospective employers and it gives you an advantage over people who just say they have an arrest record and nothing to say they've been rehabbed.

It's like a certificate of good conduct, that sort of thing - doesn't guarantee a job, just verifies that you've met the conditions of your sentence.

It doesn't change your Police or arrest record in any way but in theory gives you an advantage over prospective employees who have been arrested and completed their sentence but don't have the certificate they've been rehabbed.

They've been around for a while - and I'm in NYS so that's one of the reasons I have no idea why the OP was yelling at me. I already knew about the certificates but out of State people would not. When I pull arrest records they often list the certificates but I have never seen anyone with both Certificates - unless we are talking two different crimes, two different probations here.