Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Disabilities (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Chronic pain and depression (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=136123)

• Oct 1, 2007, 11:26 PM
    Blueyes77
    Chronic pain and depression
    I suffer from chronic pain depression. It seems to be getting worse as I age. I am on all kinds of meds... but nothing seems to help me. I don't know where to turn for relief. Does anyone have any suggestions.:(
  • Oct 2, 2007, 01:31 AM
    propst3
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueyes77
    I suffer from chronic pain depression. It seems to be getting worse as I age. I am on all kinds of meds...but nothing seems to help me. I don't know where to turn for relief. Does anyone have any suggestions.:(

You need a good pain management person 1st and methadose is a great pain med with no heady side effects then you must have a good support system go for conseling and join a local pain group to talk with others who have the same experiences you have it gives you that sense you are not alone in your pain it helps greatly
  • Oct 9, 2007, 01:03 AM
    brookeleigh
    The good news is that there are medications available that treat both depression and chronic pain. Certain medications traditionally used for depression also have a significant effect on decreasing chronic pain. This association has been tested in individuals who suffer from chronic pain without depression; when these patients are asked to fill out rating scales that describe the intensity of their chronic pain, those patients who are given antidepressants rate their pain as significantly decreased. But these medications are prescribed by your doctor and can have side effects. Consult with your doctor about what would be best for you.

The antidepressant medications that have been successfully used to decrease chronic pain include:

Tricyclic antidepressants
    Amitryptiline (Elavil)
    Desiprimaine (Norpramin)
    Imipramine (Tofranil)
    Doxepin (Sinequan)
    Nortiptyline (Pamelor)
    Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors
    Fluoxetine (Prozac)
    Sertraline (Zoloft)
    Paroxetine (Paxil)
    Fluvoxamine (Luvox)
    Citalopram (Celexa)
  • Nov 26, 2007, 12:14 PM
    BlueMoon777
    Quote:

I suffer from chronic pain depression. It seems to be getting worse as I age. I am on all kinds of meds...but nothing seems to help me. I don't know where to turn for relief. Does anyone have any suggestions.:(

I agree with propst3 as for the pain management person. I'm not sure what kind of pain you're having but you probably need to see your physician. Your physician can possible refer you to a pain management clinic. I think they will help you with the depression as well. Chronic Pain causes depression in many people and we all musf
  • Nov 26, 2007, 12:15 PM
    BlueMoon777
    I agree with propst3 as for the pain management person. I'm not sure what kind of pain you're having but you probably need to see your physician. Your physician can possible refer you to a pain management clinic. I think they will help you with the depression as well. Chronic Pain causes depression in many people.
  • Nov 27, 2007, 07:58 AM
    simoneaugie
    Quote:

Try Salvia Divinorum. I has worked wonders for me. I have the same symptoms that you described.