Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Immigration Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Is nonimmigrant visa a solution when refused entry in the US under the VWP? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=790481)

• Apr 24, 2014, 11:15 PM
    midcentury
    Is nonimmigrant visa a solution when refused entry in the US under the VWP?
    Hello,

I'm a French citizen currently residing in Canada. My citizenship normally would allow me to travel to the US for tourism under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

However, having committed a crime of moral turpitude in Canada in the past (shop lifting under 5000$), I've been refused entry to the US a few week ago, and this even though having been granted a pardon in 2012. I am aware of the fact that I could try to apply for a "temporary waiver of inadmissibility", which takes a few months to be processed, and really isn't guaranteed to be delivered.

However - The Border officer suggested I try to fill out an application for a nonimmigrant visa in order to travel in the future, and that such a visa would be valid from 1 to 10 years.

I have looked it up on the internet, but haven't found any clear answer on whether a nonimmigrant visa would be the proper solution in my specific situation.

Any light on this would be greatly appreciated!
  • Apr 25, 2014, 03:14 AM
    tickle
    Why 'look it up on the net' which you are still doing by asking us and call Canadian Immigration. I don't think a non-immigrant visa is the answer depending on how long you have been living in Canada, on what kind of visa have you been living in Canada?
  • Apr 25, 2014, 02:45 PM
    midcentury
    I have lived for 12 years in Canada with a student visa and several temporary work permits. I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I'll be a Permanent Resident very soon (ie in a few days).
  • Apr 25, 2014, 04:07 PM
    tickle
    midcentury, wish I could answer your question in lieu of your most recent information, but I cant. Suggest you call Immigration Canada to get a really qualified answer. You can remain anonymous when asking if that is what you are worried about.
  • Apr 25, 2014, 06:17 PM
    newacct
    tickle: The OP is asking about entry to the U.S.
  • Apr 26, 2014, 07:31 AM
    midcentury
    Thanks for your answers. My doubts indeed are relative to entry to the US.
    I guess I can call a US consulate, but I was wondering if I could benefit from an external expertise. I hope you'll forgive me, but my past experiences with immigration authorities (mainly those of Canada) significantly diminished my faith in them consistently delivering complete and accurate information.
  • Apr 26, 2014, 07:38 AM
    tickle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by newacct View Post
    tickle: The OP is asking about entry to the U.S.

Yes, I know that, newacct. I suggested calling Canadian immigration because he stated he would be a permanent resident soon. That impacts his entry into the US for visiting.
  • Apr 26, 2014, 09:21 AM
    lawanwadee
    This applies to all, if you have criminal records (DUIs charged as felony included), VWP is not for you. Apply for non-immigrant visa and you must disclose all info.