Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Philosophy (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=254)
-   -   What could be the answer for this matter? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=267746)

• Oct 9, 2008, 03:38 PM
    t_trinidad_t
    What could be the answer for this matter?
    A man falls down a well. It's hundreds of feet deep and smooth on all sides. There is no way he can climb up to get out and there are no windows or doors he can use. He looks in his pockets and realizes all he has are a pack of cigarettes and some matches. How does he get out?
  • Oct 9, 2008, 05:27 PM
    Credendovidis

As this is posted in Philosophy I assume any hypothetical solution is allowed, however weird and based on chances.

Or do you really want a valid and logical solution ?

:)
  • Oct 9, 2008, 11:13 PM
    Clough

Hi, t_trinidad_t!

If the well is hundreds of feet deep and he fell into it from the opening at the top, then he's probably dead.

Or, is there something that you've left out of your question, please?

Thanks!
  • Oct 10, 2008, 12:37 AM
    iAMfromHuntersBar

I remember a very similar question from when I was a kid, I don't know if the same answer applies, but I'll give it anyway!

(Oh, and it doesn't matter what's in his pocket, or what he finds down the well, he can use anything he can break for his escape!)

All he has to do is take out one of the matches.
    He then breaks the match in half.
    He puts the two halves back together again.
    Two half equal one whole.
    He puts this (w)hole up against the wall of the well...
    And he climbs out of it!

Tadaaaaaa!
  • Oct 14, 2008, 08:22 PM
    magprob

An engineer, an experimental physicist, a theoretical physicist, and a philosopher were hiking through the hills of Scotland. Cresting the top of one hill, they see, on top of the next, a black sheep. The engineer says: "What do you know, the sheep in Scotland are black." "Well, *some* of the sheep in Scotland are black," replies the experimental physicist. The theoretical physicist considers this for a moment and says "Well, at least one of the sheep in Scotland is black." "Well," the philosopher responds, "on one side, anyway."
  • Oct 14, 2008, 08:34 PM
    sGt HarDKorE

Is it one of those old wells with a rope and a bucket tied to the end!? Then he can just climb the rope or something?
  • Oct 23, 2008, 11:26 AM
    zzidontcarezz

Well the well is a metaphor for being addicted to nicotene

The way for him to get out of the "well" is to not smoke the ciggarettes at all

And he will get out of the "well"
  • Nov 12, 2008, 08:33 AM
    linnealand

Trinidad, please tell us the answer.

More than a month has passed...
  • Nov 12, 2008, 08:41 AM
    NeedKarma

Huntersbar has the correct answer In my opinion. These are 'lateral thinking' questions and there are many of them. I remember having fun with them while backpacking through Europe.

Here's more: http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/8295/lateral1.html
  • Nov 12, 2008, 09:18 AM
    linnealand

Thanks, karma. Lateral thinking is great, but if that's the answer it's just silly. I get the play on words, but wouldn't a hole/"whole" in a deep well just get him into more dirt? Perhaps that would work better if he was in a room. What's the point in being in a well then? And what's with the rest of the descriptions? And the cigarettes are distractions? I'm not buying it. :P I'm really, really hoping there's a better answer.

If you're going to post a riddle, you should also come back to give us the answer...
  • Nov 12, 2008, 09:31 AM
    ZoeMarie
    Quote:

Originally Posted by linnealand View Post
    thanks, karma. lateral thinking is great, but if that's the answer it's just silly. i get the play on words, but wouldn't a hole/"whole" in a deep well just get him into more dirt? perhaps that would work better if he was in a room. what's the point in being in a well then? and what's with the rest of the descriptions? and the cigarettes are distractions? i'm not buying it. :P i'm really, really hoping there's a better answer.

if you're going to post a riddle, you should also come back to give us the answer...

It could be the OP was looking for us to answer and didn't know either
  • Nov 12, 2008, 09:50 AM
    linnealand
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoeMarie View Post
    it could be the OP was looking for us to answer and didn't know either

If that's true, I would hope he would have said so. If he has the answer now, he should come back! I hate unanswered riddles... :P
  • Nov 12, 2008, 01:40 PM
    kp2171
    via US government economic bailout.

Sorry, my "pi$$y filter" is turned off.
  • Nov 12, 2008, 04:06 PM
    linnealand
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kp2171 View Post
    via US government economic bailout.

sorry, my "pi$$y filter" is turned off.

Now that's an answer I'm comfortable with. I'm sticking to it.
  • Jan 4, 2009, 09:20 PM
    malenymph13

If it is a well, wouldn't there be water at the bottom, and if people saw smoke rising out of the well, considering where there is a watering hole there are people, after the man lit his cigarette the smoke coming from water would seem illogical and therefore people would come to the well to see what was up, thus they would become his rescuers.
  • Jan 5, 2009, 08:36 AM
    excon
    Hello:

There are lots of dry wells. MY guy, had just eaten a meal of ham hocks and beans... All he has to do is light his farts, and he'll blast his way out.

excon