Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical & Lighting (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Ceiling fan, 3 sp, 4 wire cap, pull chain wiring (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=347258)

• Apr 28, 2009, 01:51 PM
    jim4934
    Ceiling fan, 3 sp, 4 wire cap, pull chain wiring
    I need help in wiring a 3 speed, pull chain switch, 4 wire capacitor ceiling fan. New switch has L, 1, 2, & 3 wire positions. Capacitor has yellow, purple, brown, & orange wires. Also, there is a black (I assume Load wire) that needs a home. Fan is a 26 year old Kenroy. No one at Hunter or Kenroy wants to take ownership, may not be able.
    Thank you in advance.
  • Apr 29, 2009, 07:25 AM
    ballengerb1

You don't mention the brand but most can be reached via this link. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...ons-46738.html
  • Apr 29, 2009, 08:20 AM
    jim4934

It is a Kenroy, which was a sister co. of Hunter at the time the fan was manufactured (approx 1982/1983). The cap is 3-3-4.75. Switch has L, 1, 2, & 3 wire taps
  • Apr 29, 2009, 11:00 AM
    jim4934

Further research. Before I had to stop the repair, I did the following wire swap from the original switch. L-Orange and brown, #1- 2 black, #2- brown, #3- empty. I need to find a home for a purple wire from the capacitor and a 3rd black from the wire nut for the other 2 in #1
  • May 1, 2009, 01:47 PM
    jim4934

Ballengrtb1, I have not heard from you since I answered your question. Just wanted to know if you received my replys.
    Thank you.
  • May 3, 2009, 06:50 PM
    ballengerb1

Sorry, been out of town and just got back. I have never heard of Kenroy and never worked on one so I should not make any further comments. Ceilingfanrepair does many fan questions and he might know more about Kenroy.
  • May 4, 2009, 12:09 PM
    jim4934

ballengerb1, first I apologize for the typo in your name , and second, thanks for the reply. Hope you had a trip. For me, a more basic question is will I hurt anything by placing the hot side in the switch position marked L and proceed
    Thanks to place just one capacitor lead in a single switch tap?
  • May 4, 2009, 01:02 PM
    Stratmando

Did you remove all wires from switch and capacitor. If you are Lucky, Hunter and Kenroy use the same switch and wire colors?
    The Fan switches have several switching combinations, Need the correct one.
    Ceilingfanrepair has some helpful info on this Link:
    http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...and-repair.php
  • May 4, 2009, 01:21 PM
    jim4934

What is the link?
    Thank you for your help. If I get a solution, I will send it to you.
  • May 4, 2009, 09:15 PM
    ceilingfanrepair

Do you know how the original pullchain was wired?

Ceiling fan pull chain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More
  • May 5, 2009, 10:02 AM
    jim4934

Before I had to stop the repair, I did the following wire swap from the original switch. L-Orange and brown, #1- 2 black, #2- brown, #3- empty. I need to find a home for a purple wire from the capacitor and a 3rd black from the wire nut for the other 2 in #1

Did not work.
  • May 6, 2009, 02:34 PM
    ceilingfanrepair

All I know to tell you, is make sure you have the correct replacement switch, and wire it the same way the original switch was wired. Once you're SURE you have the correct replacement you can do some trial and error if you do not recall how the original switch was wired.
  • May 17, 2009, 08:32 PM
    jim4934

Sorry for the delay in my response, had an unexpected visit to the "horsepital", did not see your response. I am beginning to understand double layered switches. I did not understand the mechanics of same. I guess that I need to swap wires on the different layers. My BIG question is can I blow the new capacitor if I mis-wire a load lead? Thanks in advance
  • May 18, 2009, 08:20 PM
    ceilingfanrepair

You could possibly short something out. If you want to experiment with wiring, wire the fan in series with a 300 watt bulb.

HOWEVER I Wouldn't EXPERIMENT WITH WIRING UNTIL YOU ARE SURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT REPLACEMENT SWITCH. Have you confirmed?
  • May 19, 2009, 09:47 PM
    jim4934

Actually, the switch was not bad, it was the capacitor. The original switch is a JinYou, double layered, barrel, pull chain. I decided to replace the switch at the same time to solve future problems while replacing the capacitor. Little did I know of double layered switches. The replacement is a Zing Ear ZE-208D of same characteristics.
  • May 20, 2009, 04:30 AM
    Stratmando

Do you have another fan like that?
  • May 20, 2009, 06:36 AM
    jim4934

Unfortunately, no. That would be too easy, and Lord knows, I never seem to do things the easy way.
  • May 22, 2009, 05:51 PM
    ceilingfanrepair

I would have left the original switch in. They don't go bad unless someone breaks the chain.
  • May 22, 2009, 10:40 PM
    jim4934

Unfortunately, the switch was the easiest of the components to replace as the capacitor was not available locally. I really did have an attack of the dumb azz.
  • May 23, 2009, 12:52 PM
    jim4934

Unfortunately, I did not receive your reply. Sorry. I really thank you for your assistance.