Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Caulking Shower (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=800917)

• Sep 8, 2014, 08:34 PM
    odinn7
    Caulking Shower
    I have shower that the caulking is old and shrunken. It is still somewhat pliable. What is the best way to handle this? I am thinking I should remove the old caulking to re-do it but is that the best way? And if so, how is the easiest way to remove the old to put in the new?
  • Sep 9, 2014, 05:18 AM
    speedball1
    The best way would be to remove the old caulk. Owever, I have had good results by caulking over the old caulk. We use Dap White Tub and Tile Caulk on our installations. More questions? I'm as close as a click. Good luck, Tom
  • Sep 9, 2014, 06:16 AM
    odinn7
    Is there an easy way to remove the old caulk, or should it just peel right out?
  • Sep 9, 2014, 06:42 AM
    speedball1
    I always use a sharp knife to cut the old caulk out but check this out,
    [COLOR=#1020b0]A[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#1020b0]Easy Way [/COLOR][FONT=Segoe UI Semibold][COLOR=#1020b0]To Remove Caulk[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=#1020b0] | About.com[/COLOR]

About.com/Easy Way To Remove Caulk
    20,800+ followers on Twitter
    Search for Easy Way To Remove Caulk. Find Expert Advice on About.com.
  • Sep 9, 2014, 06:52 AM
    odinn7
    Thanks for the help.
  • Sep 9, 2014, 05:56 PM
    massplumber2008
    Hi Odinn7

Have you done the job yet? If not, I have done tons of these jobs and would be glad to offer up some of my experience to give you the best result. Just let me know, OK?

Mark
  • Sep 9, 2014, 06:22 PM
    hkstroud
    1 Attachment(s)
    A sharp 1/2" wood chisel is the ideal tool for removing old caulk. If you want to do it the lazy man way, stop by Harbor Freight and pick up one of their multi-function tools $20.
  • Sep 10, 2014, 07:00 AM
    Milo Dolezal
    Remove old caulking. All of it. Clean the walls and tub - where new caulk will be applied - very well. Take denaturated alcohol, put it in spray bottle, and spray over the same area. Rub the area with clean cloth until all "dirt" is gone. . Repeat twice, three time to assure you have clean surface to work with.

How well you clean the surface before application determines how well new caulk will stick to the surface.

You have 2 types of caulks: Latex based ( water clean up ) and Silicone based ( mineral spirits clean up ). Latex is easy to work with as you have couple of minutes to work with it after it was applied. With Latex caulk you can do very good job right at the first time.

Silicone requires some previous experience. Once it is applied, you have only a minute or so to smooth it. It dries rather quickly and doesn't clean up as easily as Latex.

Cut off the tip of tube about 1/8" and under 45 degree angle. Apply in single motion, corner to corner. Give it only what it needs. Do not over apply. With latex, have wet piece of cloth ready for clean up. With silicone, use the same desaturated alcohol for clean up as you used for initial surface clean up. We use finger to smooth out new caulk but they actually sell a piece of plastic tool that is used for this purpose.

If you have never worked with caulk, and want to achieve a nice, smooth caulk joint, than I suggest you first practice on piece of wood or drywall before you attempt to do it on the tub.

Hope that helps

Milo
  • Sep 10, 2014, 08:56 AM
    odinn7
    Thanks for the help everyone.

I have done caulking before so that part I am comfortable with. It was really just an issue with removal of the old caulk.
  • Sep 10, 2014, 09:42 AM
    speedball1
    Let us know how you make out. Good luck, Tom
  • Sep 10, 2014, 07:40 PM
    Milo Dolezal
    Good to know you know how to handle caulking project !

Hope all went well !

Milo