Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   SCOTUS opening (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=848972)

• Jan 26, 2022, 02:56 PM
    tomder55
    SCOTUS opening
    Justice Stephen Breyer is stepping down. Will Clueless appoint Kam the Sham to the position? It's perfect. He gets rid of an embarrassment. He selects her replacement (Evita). Then he announces he will not run in 2024.

As for Kam the Sham it is the perfect no show job for her. SCOTUS doesn't answer about their position until they announce their decision. She can go forever never actually authoring an opinion by just concurring or joining the opposing statement. And they are never taken into account because the appointment is lifetime.
  • Jan 26, 2022, 03:00 PM
    Athos
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Justice Stephen Breyer is stepping down. Will Clueless appoint Kam the Sham to the position? It's perfect. He gets rid of an embarrassment. He selects her replacement (Evita). Then he announces he will not run in 2024.

Not a chance. He's already got 5 black female judges lined up to take Breyer's place. He made that promise a year ago. Harris would have been a bad choice - other than a way to remove her from the 2024 ticket. She will not be elected if she runs.

edit: Evita won't be a candidate, either. HILLARY, I MEANT HILLARY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Jan 26, 2022, 03:04 PM
    jlisenbe
    Quote:

Not a chance. He's already got 5 black female judges lined up to take Breyer's place. He made that promise a year ago.
    What a reassuring justification for appointing a person to SCOTUS. "You're a black female, so you're in!"
  • Jan 26, 2022, 03:14 PM
    tomder55
    Clueless likes to check off boxes
    Kam checks off these boxes
    1.1st female Black Associate Justice
    2. 1st Asian American Associate Justice
    3.1st Black/Asian Associate Justice
    4.1st Black/Asian Female Associate Justice

However my bet is on Justice Michelle Childs because she is the one Jim Clyburn wants in ,and he owes Clyburn bigley
  • Jan 26, 2022, 03:17 PM
    Athos
    Quote:

However my bet is on Justice Michelle Childs because she is the one Jim Clyburn wants in

Childs would be an excellent choice in her own right.
  • Jan 26, 2022, 03:29 PM
    tomder55
    I have not had a chance to study her rulings and written thoughts in detail . So I will reserve opinion . On a positive note ;she is from my adopted new state . The only case I am vaguely familiar with is a case where some nuke workers did not want the mandatory vax . She ruled that if they did not want a vax, they did not have to work there . Vax mandates are going down all over the country .
  • Jan 26, 2022, 06:50 PM
    Athos
    Quote:

I have not had a chance to study her rulings and written thoughts in detail . So I will reserve opinion . On a positive note ;she is from my adopted new state . The only case I am vaguely familiar with is a case where some nuke workers did not want the mandatory vax . She ruled that if they did not want a vax, they did not have to work there . Vax mandates are going down all over the country .

I still don't understand the anti-vax stuff. Religious exceptions and medical reasons, ok. Otherwise ....... I have some really good cartoons on the subject but I can't figure out how to post them here. I get to the final click - "Submit..." and it says "too many characters". I used to post images here but for some reason, can't any more.

Anyway, you wouldn't like them, tom.
  • Jan 26, 2022, 07:03 PM
    Wondergirl
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EbTvaJPX...jpg&name=small
  • Jan 26, 2022, 08:06 PM
    tomder55
    you know what the last booster is for ? the Pokemon variant
  • Jan 26, 2022, 08:09 PM
    Wondergirl
    Noooooo, Pikachu!!!!
  • Jan 26, 2022, 08:15 PM
    Athos
    Great picture, WG.

I had to look up Pikachu.
  • Jan 26, 2022, 08:43 PM
    tomder55
    Quote:

I still don't understand the anti-vax stuff
    Not anti-vax .It is anti-vax mandate

Does the vax stop transmission ? No . So then it not a public health issue . It is a personal choice issue and proponents of big government mandates have no compelling case for overriding individual choice .
    The most compelling argument for them is that they prevent hospitalization. Fine . But if you are going to force health decision by government fiat where does it end ?

Over 30 million Americans have been diagnosed with heart disease .647,000 people die of heart disease in the US every year. How do you prevent that ? By forcing everyone to maintain a certain weight ;to regularily exercise ? We don't and no one would accept that abuse of government power .
  • Jan 26, 2022, 08:52 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Over 30 million Americans have been diagnosed with heart disease .647,000 people die of heart disease in the US every year. How do you prevent that ? By forcing everyone to maintain a certain weight ;to regularily exercise ? We don't and no one would accept that abuse of government power

Is heart disease transmissible? Is it a public health issue?
  • Jan 26, 2022, 08:56 PM
    tomder55
    Evidently the Dems forced this decision down Breyer's throat . He has been under pressure to resign while the Dems still have the Senate . He came to the decision to do it but the news was announced much sooner than he planned to do so.
    This is how the left appreciates his solid liberal voting record in SCOTUS . They could not wait to boot him out .

This is what he was forced to see every day as he entered the court
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EyiafokW...jpg&name=small

Shame on them !!
  • Jan 26, 2022, 09:14 PM
    Athos
    +
    Quote:

Not anti-vax .It is anti-vax mandate

It is both.

Quote:

Does the vax stop transmission ? No
    Are you serious? The vaccine prevents getting the disease. THAT prevents transmission when you don't have the disease. Do some vaccinated people get and transmit? Yes, but that number is infinitesimal. The reward overwhelmingly outweighs the risk,.

Quote:

So then it not a public health issue
    Of course, it's a public health issue.

Quote:

It is a personal choice issue and proponents of big government mandates have no compelling case for overriding individual choice .
    "Big" governments have NOT mandated the vaccine. The federal government has mandated the vaccine for ITS EMPLOYEES, which they have a perfect right to do just like any employer.

Quote:

The most compelling argument for them is that they prevent hospitalization.
    No, the most compelling argument is that they prevent the disease. That leads naturally to prevention of hospitalization and death.

Quote:

But if you are going to force health decision by government fiat where does it end?
    There is no government fiat forcing health decisions by fiat.

Quote:

Over 30 million Americans have been diagnosed with heart disease .647,000 people die of heart disease in the US every year. How do you prevent that ? By forcing everyone to maintain a certain weight ;to regularily exercise ? We don't and no one would accept that abuse of government power .
    Good grief. No one has suggested the government force people to maintain a certain weight or to regularly exercise. You are bringing up non-existent situations.
  • Jan 26, 2022, 09:20 PM
    Athos
    Quote:

Evidently the Dems forced this decision down Breyer's throat .

Evidently? Provide the evidence.

Quote:

This is what he was forced to see every day as he entered the court
    (Picture)

Quote:

Shame on them !!
    Shame on you for such a weak post.
  • Jan 27, 2022, 04:27 AM
    tomder55
    What ? Are you really denying that the left has been subjecting him to a pressure campaign to retire ?

Justice Breyer Says He Has No Plans to Leave Supreme Court - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Justice Breyer Says He Will Retire When He Thinks The Time Is Right : NPR

Liberals Blast Breyer’s ‘Ego’ as He Balks at Retirement Pressure (bloomberglaw.com)

Justice Stephen Breyer remaining on the Supreme Court is a gamble (msnbc.com)

Justice Stephen Breyer should retire from the Supreme Court (msnbc.com)

In the summer he publicly said he has no plans to retire . What changed ? The compliant press in their euphoria that Clueless gets to pick an ultra-progressive that checks off the right boxes have generally failed to mention the extreme pressure he has been under to step aside .

In the summer he hired 4 clerks . Is that the move of someone planning to step aside ? Court watchers predicted after the hiring that he would stay on.

Justice Stephen Breyer Hires Law Clerks for SCOTUS Fall Term (businessinsider.com)

Breyer Hires Four Law Clerks for Next Term, High Court Confirms (bloombergquint.com)
  • Jan 27, 2022, 04:39 AM
    tomder55
    Quote:

Is heart disease transmissible? Is it a public health issue?

I already noted that the vax does not prevent transmission .

Quote:

Are you serious? The vaccine prevents getting the disease.......No, the most compelling argument is that they prevent the disease.
    Wrong again

CDC Director says vaccines are not preventing transmission (audacy.com)

Most of the World’s Vaccines Likely Won’t Prevent Infection From Omicron - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Quote:

"Big" governments have NOT mandated the vaccine. The federal government has mandated the vaccine for ITS EMPLOYEES, which they have a perfect right to do just like any employer.
    The mandate from OSHA was knocked down by SCOTUS . Now OSHA is not going to enforce the mandate for Federal workers .

Quote:

Good grief. No one has suggested the government force people to maintain a certain weight or to regularly exercise. You are bringing up non-existent situations.
    Not yet . Right now they are in the public education and strict labelling phase . Many politicians are self-appointed nutrition czars .They see Americans as incapable of making decisions about eating. Therefore, they feel that government at all levels must try to control their diets by directing people to eat a certain way or expressly prohibiting or banning the consumption of certain foods. You know that well . Nanny Bloomy was a notorious food Nazi.
  • Jan 27, 2022, 06:31 AM
    tomder55
    Quote:

What a reassuring justification for appointing a person to SCOTUS. "You're a black female, so you're in!"

“Preferring members of any one group for no reason other than race or ethnic origin is discrimination for its own sake” “This the Constitution forbids.” [
    Justice Lewis Powell : Regents of the University of California v. Bakke (1978).]

The really sad thing is that a case can be made for every candidate I have seen on the alleged short list without ever mentioning race. But now whoever is picked will always have the 'diversity pick' label.
  • Jan 27, 2022, 06:47 AM
    tomder55
    Then there is this from Reuters Tuesday's news

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday agreed to hear a bid to bar Harvard University and the University of North Carolina from considering race in undergraduate admissions in a case that imperils affirmative action policies widely used to increase the number of Black and Hispanic students on American campuses.

I'll give Clueless credit . He makes sure the issues of the day are front and center.