Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Word Processing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=397)
-   -   How can I get back my lost file (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=785402)

• Feb 25, 2014, 09:49 AM
    lina435
    How can I get back my lost file
    I was writing content for some webpages in Word 2010 but my PC get suddenly shutdown. After 1 hour I managed somehow to keep it on but now I can't find my word file in that folder, I searched it by file name but still I did not get it.<br>May I know that how could I get back my file ?<br>Is it any other way to search it in Windows PC ?
  • Feb 25, 2014, 10:02 AM
    smoothy
    Did you save it? Did you have the autosave settings set fairly low to capture stuff?

THere is a possibility it never got saved to disk.. and if it wasn't there is nothing to recover.
  • Feb 25, 2014, 10:42 AM
    ScottGem
    Did you try opening Word and looking for Recent files?
  • Feb 26, 2014, 10:50 PM
    jamesdann
    You should not be worried about your Word document if you would have saved it before PC failure.
    If you had saved it then you can get back in many ways like ScottGem has already told you one method- to look for Recent files.

You can search your file by other following methods:
    1. Search for word backup files.
    2. Search for auto recover files.
    3. Search for temporary files.
  • Feb 27, 2014, 09:01 AM
    lina435
    Thanks all for your reply.
    I am used to press Ctrl+S whenever I finish writing a paragraph. I am not sure about the last paragraph where I was writing but rest of the texts have been saved.
    Hey smoothy, what do you mean by autosave settings and how to do it ?
    I looked for recent files but that file was not there. jamesdann, I do not know these methods you are talking about.
    I want to just get my file back without spending money.
  • Feb 27, 2014, 09:39 AM
    ScottGem
    Autosave Documents In Microsoft Word
  • Mar 3, 2014, 10:13 AM
    lina435
    I know now how could I save my file through autosave. But can anyone please tell me that how could I get my that lost file ?
  • Mar 3, 2014, 10:52 AM
    ScottGem
    If it wasn't saved and you can't find it on your hard drive or in the Recycle Bin, then its gone.
  • Mar 4, 2014, 03:59 AM
    jamesdann
    As you have said that you are used to save your document whenever you finish a paragraph. So, it means your document is saved and it is somewhere in your hard disk. You just need to find out your document.

How to recover a lost Word document
    Please open this link and follow described methods to search your file.
  • Mar 4, 2014, 06:26 PM
    donf
    Usually Work will put a dialogue box over on the left side telling you that there is a document this it recovered and asking you which version (recovered version or current version) you want to use.

The fact that you say you were saving the document by using the "Ctrl S" means that you have to have given that document a name, or Word saved the document using the opening few words as the document name.

Look in your documents folder and check the dates of files in that folder. If a file was created on the date of the failure, make sure that you know the name of the file is correct. If you don't recognize the file name, chances are very good that that's the file you are looking for.