Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Coins & Paper Money (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=546)
-   -   1940 Wheat Penny (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=326964)

• Mar 9, 2009, 11:58 AM
    cathiehunter72
    1940 Wheat Penny
    How much is a 1940 silver wheat penny worth?
  • Mar 9, 2009, 12:12 PM
    Clough

Hi, cathiehunter72!

I just moved your question from Other Money & Services to this forum topic area so that your question will be more likely to be noticed and addressed by our coin and currency Expert, Flying Blue Eagle.

Thanks!
  • Mar 9, 2009, 06:47 PM
    Flying Blue Eagle

Cathiehunter72 - I will need the following in order to give you the answer to your question:: #1- Look on the front side by the date(JUST BELOW THE DATE) IT COULD BE {NO MINT MARK OR THERE COULD BE A (D)-
    OR A(S),EXAMPLE-1940,1940 D ECT. #@ I need to know just what condition the coin is in
    And if you will go to the following ,you will see how to grade a coin and it's condition;; THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO GIVE YOU YOUR ANSWER < ;;Waiting your reply with the answers to my questions ,thanks ,AND HAVE A GOOD DAY AND GOD BLESS::F.B.E.
  • Mar 10, 2009, 12:14 AM
    Clough

Hi, F.B.E.

What about the fact that she mentions that it's silver?

Thanks!
  • Mar 10, 2009, 09:33 PM
    Flying Blue Eagle

CLOUGH - THERE were no silver pennys struck in 1940;; iN 1943 there was new metal used for the 1943 issyes, some placets were struck in 1944 of the same metals but they were steel planchets;; THE METAL WAS CHANGED DUE TO THE SHORTAGE OF COPPER< WHAT WAS USED WAS { ZINC-COATED STEEL} IT WAS CALLED { VARIETY 2
    ) HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AND CATHIEhunter72
    ::SORRY BUT THE ONLY WAY THAT COULD BE POSSIBLE <IS IF SOMEONE HAD MELTED SILVER AND COATED THE PENNY WITH THE SILVER :: HAVE A GREAT DAY AND GOD BLESS ::F.B.E.
  • Mar 10, 2009, 11:15 PM
    Clough

Thanks, F.B.E.

I did know about the steel pennies. Perhaps she might be misreading the year? Just a thought...

I hope that cathiehunter72 returns!
  • Mar 13, 2009, 10:27 PM
    Flying Blue Eagle

Clough- good evening ,hope youer doing ok ,i'm ok ,thank the good lord;; as to the question about a silver penny, as far as i can remember there has never been a silver penny struck in any yeareven back in the 1900, it was coppeer<brase< zink< a combination of metals but no silver> i may be wrong but im going to look it up and checkto find out<im talking about a usa coin> by the way there is going to be a new lioncoln penny struck this year< it is sharp < i can hardly wait till i get my proof sets this year< also they are adding % or & quarters to the statehood quarters< <it is ones that is possions of the usa< like virgin iland <petor rico etc<and ditric of columbia( washington dc:: i thought id pass this information on to you <you need to get an order in asap to the us mint<that is the way they said they were going to give out the proofs on them>> if you need to know how to order them threw the mint <just hioller< i have it < did you get the coin book? Have a better day tomorrow and god bless ::f.b.e.
  • Mar 13, 2009, 10:57 PM
    Clough

Hi, F.B.E.

Thanks for the information! I haven't gotten the book yet because I'm somewhat short on money right now.

Thanks!
  • Mar 14, 2009, 12:29 AM
    Flying Blue Eagle

Clough < you say short<we'er all so short that we are onl 2ft.tall and i used to be 5"10"but im a lot better off then a lot more people in the usa: i feel for every one of them : i never thought that i would see anything like this in america! I think that a lot of tjhis bank rup and co's saying going to go bankrup unless we get so much money from the gov. and the stock market> banks ect> a lot of them got the money friom the gov> and then <the big wheels went to big resorts and had a ball< pluss getting these big raises and so forth< make more then the president does by far::
    Watch and see <a lot of these co's. Are going to use this as a excuse to move out of the usa> cheep labor< send it back to good ol usa and sell it for more then when it was made in this country< now answer this ::who's making the profit and getting richer off the citizens of this country? I get so upset when i get started on this subject: back in the
    Early 1970's i used to tell people to stop buying this forign made stuff <that they were cutting americas throat: and look what has happened:
    The us gov. should put so high a taxes on the co's that has moved to other countries ,that they would beg to come bact to america ;; there are more then 2,500 american,co's in china alone: hay buddy <sorry to bend your ears i'll talk tomorrow have a very good day tomorrow and only thing left for us all is god bless; f.b.e.
  • Dec 21, 2011, 08:38 PM
    bubaswain
    Stop fighting its worth a penny