Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Pregnancy & New Motherhood (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=262)
-   -   Pregnant after IUD (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=61815)

• Feb 10, 2007, 02:38 PM
    swtprettyblues2
    Pregnant after IUD
    My husband and I are wanting to have another baby, but I have an iud in. It is the type where I do not have my menstrual cycle. My question is will I have a period when I have the iud taking out or can I get pregnant right after it is removed.
  • Feb 10, 2007, 02:42 PM
    J_9
    Chances are your body will return back to normal after a couple of months. I don't know that you will get pregnant right after it is removed since it takes many woman months of "practice" before conceiving, but it is possible.
  • Feb 10, 2007, 03:34 PM
    bkdaniels
    You should constult with your doctor regarding this question. There are two kind of IUD's: hormonal and non-hormonal and which one you have I don't know.

However, for a general concideration, many of the IUD's are hormonal based. This means that their methodology is similar to the birth control pill; only difference is they do not are not taken by mouth.

When hormone are provided to your body, via the IUD, the increase in hormonal level helps your cervical mucus thicken, thereby creating a natural barrier to sperm. The hormones also help to alter the uterine lining in order to inhibit implantation of a fertilized egg.

You may want to let your body readjust to being without the device, before you become pregnant. Within this time, you may also have some side effect from the discontinuation of the device.

Nevertheless, your period should return fairly soon after the IUD is removed. IUD users may have longer periods due to the IUD irritating the uterine wall, too.

Because ovulation still occurs when you use an IUD, ANY TIME the device is removed, IUD has been expelled, or not inserted properly you are likely to become pregnant. You should ask your Doctor when is the best to try and become pregnant.

Hope this answers your question!

REFERENCE(S)

1. Birth Control Information: IUD
  • Feb 26, 2007, 06:56 PM
    shipra
    Hey I missed my period just after IUD removal, you are expirance holder, can you hepl me, if I'm pregenet ,is it safe for me and my coming kid?
  • Feb 27, 2007, 05:14 AM
    ghost56
    It would be best to discuss this with your doctor as he will have access to your medical records and will know exactly what type of IUD you have, obviously at the end of the day, it will depend on how fertile you and your partner are. Good luck.
  • Nov 28, 2007, 11:08 AM
    liltrueone85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by J_9
    Chances are your body will return back to normal after a couple of months. I don't know that you will get pregnant right after it is removed since it takes many woman months of "practice" before conceiving, but it is possible.

Actually I just got my iud taken out October 23rd 07', ihad the merina iud... and 2 days later I got my normal ( pretty much normal) period for about 4 days and that's usual for me. And when she took it out, she told me "shell see me next month".. and I looked at her and she gave me a look.. and I asked her how fast can I get pregnant, and she repeated herself... "i'll see you next month". It is now November 28th.. I am 6 days late now.. and I took a few tests and they were negative, but then 2 are very very faint positives... but I know I am pregnant... I mean it may be too early for some tests to pick it up, but my bb's are starting to hurt, I have to pee all the time REALLY BAD! I'm fatigued all the time now! I just know.. I'll update you.. but I gaurante you. Oh and the other girl that comented saying it takes a while for women to get pregnant after iud,, its usually the copper iud or an iud that has quit a bit of hormone in it... that you won't get pregnant right away... I had the merina iud and it had VERY LOW hormone in it. So don't think you can't get pregnant,, yes everyone's different... but just check on it! Good luck! :)~ God bless!
  • Nov 28, 2007, 11:24 AM
    Myth
    My dr told me that I had to check every month after my period for the strings connected to the iud. You can get pregnant right after it is taken out... Even with the low dose of progesterone with the hormonal iud's it is possible to get pregnant the very same day... I was told this by my ob/gyn when he put in my iud.
  • Dec 12, 2009, 12:39 PM
    cricket78
    Ihavent had a cycle yet.. Post removal November 9.. Positive surge though 10 days ago... Breasts are sooo sore. Went to the doctor yesterday. Neg Urine but she thinks I am PG. Wants to see me in 2 weeks. Didn't want to do blood work until then and told me to hold off urine tests for 2 more weeks just so we are sure. I am so tired... headace and my breasts are so tender a brush stroke hurts. I had mirena for 6 yrs with no periods. Has anyone gotten PG post removal with no period??