Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Etiquette (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Proper way to go about courthouse /church wedding (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=23207)

• Mar 22, 2006, 10:22 AM
    hondabob09
    Proper way to go about courthouse /church wedding
    What is the proper why to approach this my daughter has decided to marry her soilder at the courthouse in order to be able to go with him to germany.But would like to have a wedding ceremony for family and friends next year.Is this common or will be think wrong of her
  • Mar 22, 2006, 10:31 AM
    CaptainForest
    You asked this question on this thread as well: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=23205
  • Mar 22, 2006, 10:44 AM
    kp2171
    We simply had a reception back home, since very few could attend our wedding.

It was great. Even though there were some in the family who would've liked to attend the ceremony, it never became a big issue. We spent the money on a great celebration instead of a re-enactment. If there were any doubters or grumps before, the consensus afterward was that the party was a great time.

My guess is that it would be a little strange to do a wedding a year later. Most family should understand the need for the rushed wedding. If the issue is that your daughter wants a "formal" wedding for the memories, I can tell you from our experience by that time she'll be and feel married. Reserve a nice reception hall, have great food, use the money you'd spend on the wedding to get people in town, and have a great celebration. With some planning it can really be something special.
  • Mar 23, 2006, 04:05 PM
    Catseyes
    Hi!

Of course you can!

Some people renew their vows after years : example : 10 , 15, 20... My grandparents did it for their 50th anniversary.

Also, my own story : I got married in Oct. 2004 in front of a webcam (! ) ( I know, I guess we are the only one in the world to be able to say that ! )so that family in France could see us ( only my parents could come ).
    My husband has a one year assignment in Belgium next year : from July 06 to July 07. So we will take advantage of this opportunity to have a religious ceremony .
    So, it will be after more than 2years of marriage.

Your daughter is free to do what she wants. The only thing is that your official wedding date is the day you got married ( not the reception ).
  • Mar 23, 2006, 04:33 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    While I believe we answered this in the previous link,

But it can be a blessing, or renewal of vows but will not be a second wedding.
    There is only one official wedding and that is the first one. ( marriage licence)
    Most ministers will do the blessing or renewal, but each denomination has its rules, some may not do it at the main alter if the original wedding was not done by a ministers, most will. But it is something that you need to discuss with the church and pastor you hope to hold it at next year as to his spcific practice.
  • Mar 25, 2006, 05:16 PM
    s_cianci
    There's nothing wrong with that but why not just have the ceremony for family and friends now? It may be a bit short notice but most people will make every effort to be present for a friend or relative's wedding especially since the couple will be departing for Germany shortly. Securing catering services etc. should not be too difficult this time of year even with relatively short notice. If it proves to be so, consider having the wedding on a Friday evening rather than the traditional Saturday afternoon.
  • Jul 1, 2006, 06:17 AM
    valinors_sorrow
    In Europe, it was customary in some circles to have both a private church wedding followed by a more public civil ceremony since in some places one does not necessarily acknowledge the other. Whether they choose to reenact their vows or hold just a reception, its perfectly acceptable even if its not so common stateside. But like Fr Chuck said, they are married legal beagle at the first one. Celebrate!