Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Small Claims (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=303)
-   -   Does my landlord owe me security deposit? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=130563)

• Sep 17, 2007, 12:20 PM
    sjr1016a
    Does my landlord owe me security deposit?
    Hello everyone,

I moved out of my apartment on August 1, 2007. I was told that at leat $236.00 of my $600.00 security deposit would be returned because there were some things in the apartment that they charged us for. (there was one small golf ball size hole the wall from my treadmill, which I asked them to fix and they never did) I said OK, but as my lease states, you have send me a detailed letter with the itemized charges. I asked them when I could expect my security deposit. They told me 45 days. Ok. They walk through was done on August 2nd, and I still don't have my money or the charges.

Can I sue them?
  • Sep 17, 2007, 12:32 PM
    JohnSnownw
    You can sue them, but you can sue anyone anytime. The question is... "Do I have a case?" The answer to that is, maybe. Have you been in contact with them since they did the walk-through? Also, each state is different, where did this take place?

This site should be able to answer your questions:

Security Deposit Guide Security Deposit Law
  • Sep 17, 2007, 12:35 PM
    sjr1016a
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnSnownw
    You can sue them, but you can sue anyone anytime. The question is..."Do I have a case?" The answer to that is, maybe. Have you been in contact with them since they did the walk-through? Also, each state is different, where did this take place?

This site should be able to answer your questions:

Security Deposit Guide Security Deposit Law

I have not been in contact with them since the walk through. I am in Maryland.
  • Sep 17, 2007, 12:39 PM
    ScottGem
    You need to check the laws for your state, but since 45 days have past from your vacate date. That would seem more than enough time.
  • Sep 17, 2007, 12:40 PM
    JohnSnownw
    Yes, just click on the "Maryland," link on that website. You should contact the landlord/real estate company, as well. It would appear that Maryland has laws designed to give you the upper-hand. So, check out the link I provided, and it should give you a good idea of your next steps. Good Luck.
  • Sep 17, 2007, 12:41 PM
    sjr1016a
    Thanks for the information!
  • Sep 17, 2007, 02:12 PM
    sjr1016a
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnSnownw
    Yes, just click on the "Maryland," link on that website. You should contact the landlord/real estate company, as well. It would appear that Maryland has laws designed to give you the upper-hand. So, check out the link I provided, and it should give you a good idea of your next steps. Good Luck.

Hello

I clicked on the link you gave me and reviewed the Maryland tenant law and found that the property failed to send me a statement of charges (which I requested) and my security deposit within 45 days so everything they were trying to charge me for is null and void now. Come to find out the property manager admitted that the letter was never mailed to me because of incompetence within her office. So I called the district manager of the property, told her my situation and she said you are absolutely right. It is our loss and we will have the whole security deposit to you, which will be mailed today. (of course I will wait to see if they actually do what they say they are going to do) Fortunately a new company has taken over the property and they are trying to "clean house" so to speak.

I guess I could have researched it myself but having that link there made it easier.

Thanks
  • Sep 17, 2007, 04:24 PM
    JohnSnownw
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sjr1016a
    Hello

I clicked on the link you gave me and reviewed the Maryland tenant law and found that the property failed to send me a statement of charges (which I requested) and my security deposit within 45 days so everything they were trying to charge me for is null and void now. Come to find out the property manager admitted that the letter was never mailed to me because of incompetence within her office. So I called the district manager of the property, told her my situation and she said you are absolutely right. It is our loss and we will have the whole security deposit to you, which will be mailed today. (of course I will wait to see if they actually do what they say they are going to do) Fortunately a new company has taken over the property and they are trying to "clean house" so to speak.

I guess I could have researched it myself but having that link there made it easier.

Thanks

Glad to be of service.
  • Sep 17, 2007, 04:48 PM
    ScottGem
    Some laws include a penalty of double the deposit if they fail to meet the time limit.