Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cars & Trucks (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   My Honda Civic Won't Start (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=30080)

• Jul 23, 2006, 08:08 PM
    hitchhiker2000
    My Honda Civic Won't Start
    I read CroCivic's post about testing your Honda Civic, and there is some great information in there, but I have a 1991 Honda Civic 1.5 liter that won't start, but there is to fault code showing on the computer. The car had just pulled out from a stop at an intersection, and it just died. No sputter, nothing, just quit, and will not start back. There had been no indications of any stalling or loss of power before this. I have checked for spark (it's good) loosened the exhaust from the manifold to see if the catalytic converter was plugged (still no start), replaced the fuel filter and confirmed there is fuel under pressure at the connection to the throttle body. I tried to start the car with starting fluid, no dice. I confirmed that the timing belt is turning and the rocker arms are working. The engine cranks fine. I tried starting it with the throttle position sensor unhooked, Same deal.The distributer cap and rotor look OK (nothing broken and no carbon traces) but since they are over due for it anyway, I'm going to replace the cap, rotor, and wires and see if that helps, but I honestly don't think it will. Can anyone help me out on this one?
  • Jul 23, 2006, 08:55 PM
    hitchhiker2000
    Yes, the fuel pump does run between clicks, and the check engine light goes out after a couple of seconds.
  • Jul 23, 2006, 10:11 PM
    CroCivic91
    If you get both fuel and spark, I'd check my timing next. Perhaps your timing belt slipped a tooth and is way off.
  • Jul 24, 2006, 05:49 AM
    hitchhiker2000
    Nope. Checked the valve timing today. It's right on.
  • Oct 7, 2006, 07:45 PM
    motocross_143
    Hey I have the same problem with my honda
  • Apr 25, 2008, 12:34 PM
    itrubiuey
    If spark & fuel not the issues then I suggest you guys check the compression. Normally need between 140-160psi to start the car.
  • Nov 21, 2009, 02:44 PM
    solemay
    Hey there, I have a 91 civic cx and I am haing the same problem with my car. All the same issues, and all the same results. I replaced the fuel filter and pump thinking that was the problem, it wasn't, I have spark, I have fuel and I have compression. The timing belt has just been replaced and is timed properly, and no issues with the distributor... so I was just wondering if you ever got your car up and running again,and if so what did you do?
  • May 21, 2010, 07:07 PM
    mikecivic
    What keeps burning out the coal in my distribator
  • Dec 28, 2011, 11:15 AM
    Matsquach
    Same issue with my '90 civic it sounds. Fuel, spark, timing, and fuses all checked and clear. I have a buddy coming over to check the compression now but I'm not even sure what to do with it if that is the problem. Any ideas how to fix that or anything else to look for if that's not the problem?
  • Feb 28, 2012, 11:46 AM
    btdc99
    Check your gas some times if you fill the tank full the pressure in the tank needs to be released. Also you might have dirty gas it may look clean but there may be impurity's in the gas. I have a 95 honda civic and both of theses were my problems and she is running just fine