Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   How can I find the drain barrel in backyard? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=45771)

• Nov 30, 2006, 09:41 AM
    calsmom63
    How can I find the drain barrel in backyard?
    I live in a slab ranch,about 50 yrs old. My kitchen drain is clogged, we snaked it 50 feet, ran into nothing. Mind you the bathroom just off the kitchen is not affected, so we know that they are a separate drain system. Two years ago, kitchen clogged and plumber came and snaked it, saying we probably had a drain system in backyard for graywater from kitchen. He most likely just stirred things up a bit, getting the barrel to drain a bit. If I run the disposal while running water or the dishwasher(which isn't hooked up to disposal but goes into a branch of the same drain pipe as kitchen, it keeps water from backing up in the sink... A retired plumber said we need to pump out barrel in backyard. My problem is, no evidence of lid cover for said drain barrel is visible. How can I find it? (Without backhoeing the backyard?) and how much will it cost, roughly, to have it pumped out once I find it? I'm in New England?)
  • Nov 30, 2006, 10:05 AM
    Morganite
    Quote:

Originally Posted by calsmom63
    I live in a slab ranch,about 50 yrs old. My kitchen drain is clogged, we snaked it 50 feet, ran into nothing. Mind you the bathroom just off the kitchen is not affected, so we know that they are a separate drain system. Two years ago, kitchen clogged and plumber came and snaked it, saying we probably had a drain system in backyard for graywater from kitchen. He most likely just stirred things up a bit, getting the barrel to drain a bit. If I run the disposal while running water or the dishwasher(which isnt hooked up to disposal but goes into a branch of the same drain pipe as kitchen, it keeps water from backing up in the sink... A retired plumber said we need to pump out barrel in backyard. My problem is, no evidence of lid cover for said drain barrel is visible. How can I find it?? (Without backhoeing the backyard?) and how much will it cost, roughly, to have it pumped out once i find it?? I'm in New England?)

It sounds as if you have a septic tank. Septric tanks in most cases are constructed with a run-off field (area) from them to a lower point, not always significantly lower. The only way to find it if you don''t have a metal detector is to poke the surface with a long metal rod, such as a piece of rebar until you come across the tank.

Use Riddex monthly to avoid future problems.

If you need the tank emptying you will have to get quotes from local contractors. It might not be too inexpensive but it is better than living with the problem you have.

On on epropetty we lived on the septic tank had not been pumped for over thirty years, but it was as sweet as baby's breath because we gave it a monthly dose of RIDDEX.

Good luck,

M:)
  • Nov 30, 2006, 10:20 AM
    speedball1
    That "barrel" that kitchens and laundrys drain into before exiting into the septic tank is called a grease trap. It's there to collect the grease and garbage from the kitchen drain and grease and fiber from the washer.
    Your plumber was correct. l
    Like septic tanks, a grease trap need to be pumped from time to time.
    We locate them by tracking the drain exiting from the kitchen. The good news is that a grease trap will be located close to the house. In my area all out buildings are on slabs so the drains should be close to the surface. We take a pointed rod and follow the drain line to the grease trap or contract a company to come in and locate it for us. Good luck, Tom