Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dogs (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Is there anything you can give a dog to make them poop (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=104961)

• Jun 27, 2007, 08:42 PM
    misscherry777
    Is there anything you can give a dog to make them poop
    I was wondering if there was anyting you could give a dog to make them have a bowl movement? Or if you had to get it from the vet..
  • Jun 27, 2007, 09:06 PM
    bushg
    If I were you I would call the vet. Products for humans may be toxic for a dog. I have heard of people giving their dogs canned pumpkin. I guess it is full of fiber, but I do not know how much they gave them. Also you need to make sure that your dog is not eating a lot of bones. I know that these can cause severe constipation. Please do not take this problem lightly. I have heard of dogs dying from this.
  • Jun 27, 2007, 09:54 PM
    mileyrocks0
    No I don't think so :p
  • Jun 27, 2007, 11:14 PM
    twix
    I have a sick Daschund puppy 8 weeks old, diahreah, upset tummy throwing up, walking funny, what do I do.
  • Jun 28, 2007, 03:15 AM
    labman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by twix
    I have a sick Daschund puppy 8 weeks old, diahreah, upset tummy throwing up, walking funny, what do I do.

Get it to to the vet immediately. You may be panicking over nothing, but it could be parvo or something else that only prompt treatment will save.
  • Jun 28, 2007, 03:24 AM
    labman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by misscherry777
    I was wondering if there was anyting you could give a dog to make them have a bowl movement? or if you had to get it from the vet...?

It is not as urgent to see the vet as the other question, but you shouldn't give the dog anything until at least talking to the vet. Giving a dog with an obstructed bowel a laxative could kill it. I am pleased nobody suggested anything without mentioning checking with the vet. Is your dog prone to eating indigestibles, or do you give it rawhides or consumable chews? They can create blockages.
  • Jul 1, 2007, 11:35 PM
    airbats-goku
    I had a constipated dog (he got into the fridge and ate an entire block of cheddar) so I took some bran (like you'd use for bran muffins) and mixed it with warm water to a mash consistency and fed it to Riggs. About 20-30 minutes later he was having a movement in the yard. Be sure to give him plenty of lukewarm not cold water because he could be or become dehydratred. He will also need plenty of exercise to keep his body stimulated. Listen to Labman though because he's the experienced guy.
  • Jul 2, 2007, 01:46 PM
    xo_babycakes_ox
    Take it to a fire works show. Last night I took my dog to the park and she peed in the middle of the side walk then took a big crap after a few went off at once. I had to go home and carry her then run down my street with her pulling me. It worked though lol
  • Jul 2, 2007, 03:39 PM
    labman
    It scared the out of her? With my one puppy, I always needed clean up material anytime we got near a train.
  • Jul 2, 2007, 03:45 PM
    xo_babycakes_ox
    Lol its was kind of funny and cute at the same time. Then I had to pik it up and I stopped laughing lol
  • Jul 2, 2007, 04:02 PM
    bud4525
    Quote:

Originally Posted by misscherry777
    I was wondering if there was anyting you could give a dog to make them have a bowl movement? or if you had to get it from the vet...?

Ive tried salmon.. It worked on my dog and also helps with their coat.. Good Luck!