Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Printers (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   Creating one partition? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=8063)

• Feb 27, 2005, 10:47 AM
    dogbreath
    Creating one partition?
    Running MS XP SP2. Onboard hdd is 120GB. It's formatted as follows:-

C:\ Primary Partition-NTFS-58.59GB-38% free
    E:\ Partition-NTFS-53.19GB-39% free (Logical Drive)

I would prefer the disk to all be seen as C:\

E:\ currently contains a number of Acronis images of C:\ which are not essential.

Can this be achieved and if so how? Any help much appreciated.
  • Feb 27, 2005, 11:31 AM
    walt17
    Yes. You will loose all data on the removed partition. Read MS Knowledge Base article 309000. You can find it by going to Help and Support and searching for the number.
  • Feb 27, 2005, 11:33 AM
    dogbreath
    Thanks for that walt17. I'll have a look there. :)
  • Feb 27, 2005, 11:42 AM
    ScottGem
    First, I do NOT recommend this. You are better off with separate partitions. I recommend at least 3 separate partitions. The C Drive should have only the OS. Then use a D Drive for data and an E drive for programs. Such a structure makes it easier to share, secure and backup your data and system.

I use Norton Ghost to create an Image of my C drive. If I have a serious problem I can just restore that image. This leaves my data and programs unaffected (except for programs installed after the last image was created). I backup my D drive daily. So all my data files are secure.

I see no advantage to commingling everything into one partition. However, if you want to do this without wiping out your syste, I would recommend getting Partition Magic. This is a great utilitiy that allows you to resize partitions without loss of data.
  • Feb 27, 2005, 11:48 AM
    SESaskDFC
    Howdy:

As per Scott's post, if you want to keep the majority of the data, then a third-party program such as PartitionMagic is mandatory..

If you follow Walt's advice and don't really mind losing all info on BOTH partitions, then a complete re-partition and format will suffice.. Of course, that would mean a total re-install of XP and everything else you may have for programs!

Murray
  • Feb 28, 2005, 05:15 AM
    fredg
    One partition
    Hi,
    Many prefer just one partition, with C: drive; as I do... others don't.
    If you wish to do this, then the other experts have offered ideas.
    BE SURE you back up any files or data you want to keep. Normally, you will need a burner drive to do this, backing it up on a CD-R/RW, etc.
    I'm sure you already know that you will then be starting with a completely "new" hard drive, having to re-install all hardware such as printer, scanner,etc; and also re-install all programs, like Word, etc.
    If you need instructions, step by step, on how to create just one partition, please post back, using this same thread.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
  • Feb 28, 2005, 08:05 AM
    dogbreath
    Thanks you guys for giving me food for thought. I will post back when I've had chance to digest my options! :)