Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Medical Conditions & Diseases (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Passed out, threw up and pooped all at the same time. (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=156925)

• Nov 28, 2007, 11:44 AM
    Mommy2gio
    Passed out, threw up and pooped all at the same time.
    Okay so my sister calls me and says that she was sitting in class and she felt like she was going to pass out( she has a history of fainting) so she puts her head down. Some time later she wakes up and there are paramedics there. She then realizes that not only has she passed out but she threw up and pooped. Why would this all happen at once?

She does not have insurance and will not until January so she couldn't go with the paramedics. She faints easily and has for most of her life. She has a fear of needles so it is close to impossible to get her to have her blood taken to have some blood work done.

What would cause her to lose control of her bowel movements and throw up while fainting?

*things to consider...

-she is only 23
    -she had a slight cold that day
    -she has lived in a warm climate only within the last year
    -she has passed out twice within the last few months
    The room she passed out in the last time was air conditioned the time before that was outside in the heat.

Any information would help. She is seeing a doctor about her bloodwork in January.
  • Nov 28, 2007, 11:56 AM
    KISS
    The brain will do anything to keep blood to the head. That means it will shut down anything else to keep the brain functioning.

So let's SUPPOSE she had a severe drop in blood pressure. This will cause the fainting. If it lasted long enough the brain would divert all blood to the head and it wouldn't care about any other muscle, so their goes the sphincter muscle and poop. Not sure about throwing up, though.

In the short run, you probably can spare some change and get a blood pressure meter just in case I'm right.
  • Nov 28, 2007, 12:00 PM
    asking
    Sounds like she was out for a long time. Fainting with incontinence suggests a seizure. A seizure is a sign of something, but what? She needs to be seen by a doctor, sooner than in January. Hope others more knowledgeable can speak to this.
    Asking
  • Nov 28, 2007, 01:32 PM
    J_9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    The brain will do anything to keep blood to the head. That means it will shut down anything else to keep the brain functioning.

This is somewhat correct, however the brain ain't going to function if the heart ain't pumpin'.

Now, the body will shut down or repress all organs that are not vital to maintain life under certain conditions.

I do have to agree with Asking about the seizures. When a person has a seizure it does not always mean that they are going to have a tonic clonic seizure that we all think of when we think "seizure." Some seizures can be very mild with little to no visible symptoms.

Quote:

Some time later she wakes up
    That particular portion of the sentence is what gave me the clue that it may have been a seizure. You see, when a seizure occurs there is usually a period of disorientation wherein the patient actually "thinks" they are out, but are awake, but not alert or oriented.

It is imperative that she get medical attention OR she should not drive until she gets this checked out. If she is driving she may very well have this happen again while behind the wheel.
  • Nov 28, 2007, 06:25 PM
    Mommy2gio
    Thank you for yours answers. I called her and told her what you all said. She had also looked it up online and she received the same information. She is away at college and does not have a need for a car because she lives on campus so she will not be driving anywhere. Thank you again.
  • Nov 28, 2007, 06:34 PM
    bushg
    Here in Cincinnati ,Ohio We had a local college girl that went sleep walking off her campus a few weeks ago, passersby reported a man raping a girl on the side on the road, in a grassy area. A homeless manhiv positive raped this girl while she was sleep walking. She also had epilespy, pease tell your sister that crazy things can happen and to be careful not to be alone until this is resolved.
  • Nov 28, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Mommy2gio
    Thank you I will.