Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Social Studies (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=412)
-   -   Founding fathers sociology (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=441493)

• Jan 31, 2010, 02:37 PM
    danerjnbaptiste
    Founding fathers sociology
    Karl Marx, Emile Durkheim and Max Weber have been named among the “founding fathers” of sociology. Critically discuss the contributions of any two of these theorists to the development of sociology as a discipline.

here is what i have so far.......

According to Mulkey (1993) sociology is a way of finding out why people behave the way they do. With this definition it can be noted that the theories put forward by the ‘founding fathers’ of sociology have all contributed to its existence as a discipline. Although they have been considered as the founding fathers of sociology, they each have their own perspective of society and its function. Emile Durkheim views society from a functionalist perspective. He coined the term ‘social facts’ and made his contribution in areas such as education, methodology, religion and suicide. Whilst Karl Marx, a conflict theorist showed great interest in inequality and social reproduction in the capitalist society. Also Max Weber a social action theorist, as such it can be noted that their contributions therefore are directly influenced by their perspective of the society
  • Jan 31, 2010, 02:43 PM
    Wondergirl

Interesting start. You definitely need to flesh this out with more explanation about each sociologist. The second last sentence is not a sentence, and the last sentence makes no sense and sounds like you blended two sentences off some Web site(s).

How long does this have to be?
  • Feb 2, 2010, 03:42 PM
    danerjnbaptiste

@ wondergirl it has to be 12 lines
  • Feb 2, 2010, 04:02 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by danerjnbaptiste View Post
    @ wondergirl it has to be 12 lines

Are you IN college? How can you "critically discuss the contributions" of these sociologists in only 12 lines? That's maybe 150 words at most. Do you mean 12 pages?

Is this an ESL essay? If so, what is your native language? That will help me understand a few things.

What have you now written so far? What you posted is unnecessarily wordy. If you want to say something worthwhile, you are going to have to cut out all the extra and fancy words and phrases, and get down to basics.

First, get organized. List each man you want to discuss (you said the assignment is to write about two of them -- maybe Durkheim and Weber?). Then list several important things each did and beliefs he had as he developed a sociological theory.
  • Feb 2, 2010, 04:13 PM
    redhed35

You have been asked to critically discuss the contributions of any two of these theorists,while your opening introduction is good,with only 12 lines to discuss theorists,the first 3 lines are wasted on an introduction better suited to an assignment.

My suggestion is to pick the key elements related to two of the theorists,and discuss their contributions.

The key words in the question are Critically discuss..

What you have is more of brief introduction to four theorists.
  • Feb 2, 2010, 04:29 PM
    Wondergirl

You will need a topic sentence that introduces the two chosen theorists, then about four or five sentences about each man's theories. Those sentences should also briefly compare and contrast them (that's the "critically discuss" part).
  • Feb 2, 2010, 04:33 PM
    redhed35

Just to add one more thing,be sure to give a brief conclusion at the end.

A discussion should have a conclusion.
  • Feb 3, 2010, 04:30 PM
    danerjnbaptiste

@ wonder girl and redhed35... sorry about that I have to do the intro first... the intro needs to be 12 line. Then I do the body.
  • Feb 3, 2010, 04:33 PM
    danerjnbaptiste
    @ wondergirl... yes its a college essay... whats an ESL essay... Iam from the Caribbean... my native language is english
  • Feb 3, 2010, 05:00 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

@ wondergirl ...yes its a college essay...whats an ESL essay...Iam from the Caribbean...my native language is english

ESL = English as a Second Language

Do you have an introduction written yet? Which two men have you chosen?
  • Feb 3, 2010, 05:11 PM
    danerjnbaptiste

I decided to start the introduction talking about all three and was thinking of chosin the two in the body.. So u think its better if I chose the two in the introduction
  • Feb 3, 2010, 05:39 PM
    danerjnbaptiste

Sociology is a way of finding out why people behave the way they do. With this definition it can be noted that the theories put forward by the 'founding fathers' of sociology have all contributed to its existence as a discipline. Although they have been considered as the founding fathers of sociology, they each have their own perspective of society and its function. Emile Durkheim views society from a functionalist perspective. He coined the term 'social facts' and made his contribution in areas such as education, religion and suicide. Whilst Karl Marx, a conflict theorist showed great interest in inequality and social reproduction in the capitalist society, and lastly Max Weber who was a social action theorist focused on the (internal) meanings behind human behavior. It can be noted that the contributions of the founding fathers are directly influenced by their perspective or views of the society. This essay focuses on Emile Durkhiem and Karl marx o well established social thinkers
  • Feb 3, 2010, 05:40 PM
    danerjnbaptiste

Here is my second draft
  • Feb 3, 2010, 06:03 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

i decided to start the introduction talkin bout all three n was thinkin of chosin the two in the body.. So u think its better if i chose the two in the introduction

The assignment says to pick two, so talk about only two in the whole essay.
  • Feb 3, 2010, 06:06 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Sociology is a way of finding out why people behave the way they do. With this definition it can be noted that the theories put forward by the 'founding fathers' of sociology have all contributed to its existence as a discipline. Although they have been considered as the founding fathers of sociology, they each have their own perspective of society and its function. Emile Durkheim views society from a functionalist perspective. He coined the term 'social facts' and made his contribution in areas such as education, religion and suicide. Whilst Karl Marx, a conflict theorist showed great interest in inequality and social reproduction in the capitalist society, and lastly Max Weber who was a social action theorist focused on the (internal) meanings behind human behavior. It can be noted that the contributions of the founding fathers are directly influenced by their perspective or views of the society. This essay focuses on Emile Durkhiem and Karl marx o well established social thinkers

You are really not introducing them. Start about founding fathers and tell what that means. Mention each man and his general area of interest in developing his theory.

How long does the entire essay have to be?
  • Feb 3, 2010, 06:15 PM
    danerjnbaptiste

She didn't say just to prepare the intro to be marked then after the body to be marked seperatelyn but iamm guessin 200-300 words. IIll Do another draft
  • Feb 3, 2010, 06:17 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

she didnt say just to prepare the intro to be marked then after the body to be marked seperatelyn but iamm guessin 200-300 words. iIll Do another draft

Pick Durkheim and Marx. They are easy to describe, compare, and contrast. Weber is too weird.
  • Feb 3, 2010, 06:30 PM
    danerjnbaptiste

Many sociologists emerged in the 1800's, which we today refer to as founding fathers of sociology. According to encyclopedia.com a founding father is a person who starts or helps to start a movement or institution. With this definition it can be noted that the theories put forward by the 'founding fathers' of sociology have all contributed to its existence as a discipline. Although they have been considered as the founding fathers of sociology, they each have their own perspective of society and its function. Emile Durkheim views society from a functionalist perspective. He coined the term 'social facts' and made his contribution in areas such as education, religion and suicide. Whilst Karl Marx, a conflict theorist showed great interest in inequality and social reproduction in the capitalist society, and lastly Max Weber who was a who was a social action theorist focused on the (internal) meanings behind human behavior. It can be noted that the contributions of the founding fathers are directly influenced by their perspective or views of the society. This essay focuses on Emile Durkhiem and Karl Marx two well established social thinkers
  • Feb 3, 2010, 06:32 PM
    danerjnbaptiste
    Question: was wondering if the definition I placed for socioloy was not relevant to the essay. Would the definition for founding fathers be more relevant
  • Feb 3, 2010, 06:41 PM
    danerjnbaptiste

@ wondergirl... u said mention each man and his general area... Is what I am saying about them not sufficient