Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical & Lighting (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Gfci outlet (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=111128)

• Jul 18, 2007, 11:30 AM
    mudge
    Gfci outlet
    Hi,

I have installed a small pond. I called an electrician to put a GFCI outlet near the pond. He told me I could save a significant amount of money if I dig the trench for the line. Well... I had called Miss Utility before digging the hole for the pond and there is a Cox Cable line that is in the way. I am bummed about this. Even if I don't dig the trench... how is the electrician going to get around this ( there is actually no way around it literally). Thank you so much in advance. I would have called the electrician but he is out of town the next 4 days.

Thanks
  • Jul 18, 2007, 12:09 PM
    tkrussell
    Why not just hand dig at the cable and run the new line above or below the CATV line, this is done all the time. You may need to be at least 6 inches away , but that should not be a problem.
  • Jul 18, 2007, 12:09 PM
    BigRed1500
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mudge
    hi,

I have installed a small pond. I called an electrician to put a GFCI outlet near the pond. He told me I could save a significant amount of money if I dig the trench for the line. Well... I had called Miss Utility before digging the hole for the pond and there is a Cox Cable line that is in the way. I am bummed about this. Even if I dont dig the trench... how is the electrician going to get around this ( there is actually no way around it literally). Thank you so much in advance. I would have called the electrician but he is out of town the next 4 days.

Thanks

Why can't you dig by hand where the cable line goes and have the electrician run his conduit under the cable line?

EDIT:TK's answer hit the same time as mine, I was not trying to copy yours.
  • Jul 18, 2007, 12:11 PM
    tkrussell
    No problem red, I do that all the time, great minds think alike.
  • Jul 18, 2007, 03:36 PM
    mudge
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mudge
    hi,

I have installed a small pond. I called an electrician to put a GFCI outlet near the pond. He told me I could save a significant amount of money if I dig the trench for the line. Well... I had called Miss Utility before digging the hole for the pond and there is a Cox Cable line that is in the way. I am bummed about this. Even if I dont dig the trench... how is the electrician going to get around this ( there is actually no way around it literally). Thank you so much in advance. I would have called the electrician but he is out of town the next 4 days.

Thanks

Thanks for the insight. My husband has been in Iraq and he usually has my answers for me. I am a little clueless when it comes to this stuff. Thanks again!
  • Jul 19, 2007, 02:47 AM
    tkrussell
    We here in AMHD salute you and your husband, and realize the sacrifices your family have made.

Please do not hesitate to use Ask Me Help Desk for any problem or question you may have until your other half gets his backside back home.