Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Computers for Beginners (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Laptop charger (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=392699)

• Sep 1, 2009, 09:39 PM
    kinshi_lp
    Laptop charger
    Hi.anyone,help! My laptop charger is 18.5V output but it's cut.Im working on something urgent so for the mean time can I use a lesser Voltage of 8.5V to charge it? Please advise me
  • Sep 1, 2009, 10:04 PM
    Bill-K
    I don't think you would be doing any harm by trying 8.5V - but I doubt if that is high enough to work. I would expect you to need at least 12V.

Also - I am assuming here that your original laptop charger is DC (Direct Current). Be very careful that any other power adapters you try using are producing DC - and NOT AC (Alternating Current). I think if you use AC, you run the risk of damaging your battery.
  • Sep 1, 2009, 10:28 PM
    kinshi_lp

Sir Bill,thanks for answering... my laptop charger is AC,also with the other one.. how about if I take out the battery and try running it on with the lesser voltage,would it do any damage on my laptop?I won't try doing it unless you approve of it
  • Sep 2, 2009, 12:38 AM
    Bill-K
    I think I may need to be a little clearer here. I'm not talking about the INPUT curren/voltage of your charger here. That will deffo be AC, and either 110 or 220 V - or whatever your local mains supply is. It's the OUTPUT that needs to be checked.

I've done electronics in my time, but power supplies is not really my domain - so I am NO expert here, Kin. I would, however (if there was nobody else looking) try doing what you suggested, before giving up. Taking the flat battery out of the equation will - in theory - mean less of a drain on the 8.5V supply. And you MIGHT - JUST MIGHT - be lucky!!

Be lucky, my friend!! :)
  • Sep 2, 2009, 01:07 AM
    kinshi_lp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill-K View Post
    I think I may need to be a little clearer here. I'm not talking about the INPUT curren/voltage of your charger here. That will deffo be AC, and either 110 or 220 V - or whatever your local mains supply is. It's the OUTPUT that needs to be checked.

I've done electronics in my time, but power supplies is not really my domain - so I am NO expert here, Kin. I would, however (if there was nobody else looking) try doing what you suggested, before giving up. Taking the flat battery out of the equation will - in theory - mean less of a drain on the 8.5V supply. And you MIGHT - JUST MIGHT - be lucky !!!

Be lucky, my friend !!! :)

thanks Sir Bill,I've tried it and your right,power output is not enough(8.5 vs 18.5; big difference) hence it won't charge... thanks a lot for your time,appreciate it =)
  • Sep 2, 2009, 01:18 AM
    Bill-K
    Sorry it was a no-go, matey.
  • Sep 3, 2009, 12:41 AM
    ComputerHelpers

Actually, the input for the on board lower level tolerance voltage runs in the 13.7 vdc range, since there are on board dc to dc converters. Anything less will make the m/b useless. And that's from designing SMPS for ocmpututers for around 25 years.
  • Sep 3, 2009, 12:57 AM
    Bill-K
    Thanks ComputerHelpers, it's encouraging to know that my guess was at least in the ball park. As it comes from a power supply designer, I guess we can call that the definitive post here!!