Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Relationships (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=277)
-   -   Anime Love, Help Please... (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=780320)

• Jan 2, 2014, 05:15 PM
    Dan_B
    Anime Love, Help Please...
    I have debated for a long time about posting this online but now I feel like I must. I think I am in love with a character from an anime movie. I know, weird right. It's Arrietty from Hiromasa Yonebayashi's Studio Ghibli production 'The Secret World Of Arrietty'. (I will post a link to IMDb at the end). I first saw the movie in mid 2011 when an English dubbed version was released and that's when I first felt it.

I'm not going to lie, it freaked me the hell out (the feelings, not the movie in general). Since then I must have seen that movie a hundred times. I don't think I've ever gone a week without watching that movie. Overall I am a fan of the Studio Ghibli movies, it think they are pure art, but this is a whole other level. I can't understand why I am having these feelings for an anime character who doesn't even exist in the real world.

I printed out small screenshots of her from the movie that I keep in my wallet. I often look at them when I fell depressed, lonely or stressed and I find simply looking at her calms me down. I listen to the soundtrack 'Arrietty's song' as it reminds me of her (I will link it).

Does anyone know why someone would be so in love with a fictional character? Does anyone else on this forum know this feeling, has anyone else here felt it? Ladies, would you be weirded-out by a guy who has experienced this?

IMDb - The Secret World of Arrietty (2010) - IMDb
    Arrietty's Song - [C\S] The Secret World of Arrietty - Arrietty's Song (English w/ Lyrics) - YouTube

Plus, if you want to watch an English Dub of this movie, I recommend the UK dub much, much more than the US dub.
  • Jan 3, 2014, 06:25 AM
    Oliver2011
    Are all your interest pretend or do you have some real relationships with real people?

What can you possibly get from an animated character? Personally I hate cartoons or anything like cartoons.
  • Jan 3, 2014, 09:02 AM
    talaniman
    You're very lucky to just have one love. I have hundreds. Wonder Woman in the comics was my first. I know about intense feelings for characters, but geez life is far more fun with real people. You still have to balance and separate fantasy from real life. How about putting the movies on hold and get some real people to have fun with.
  • Jan 3, 2014, 09:18 AM
    I wish
    I'm sure many others have cartoon character crushes as well. I like Hawkgirl. But I think what it comes down to is that you might have a good idea on what you want in a partner, but you're not able to find it in real life.
    As long as you realize that this is a fantasy world, just don't lose sight of the present and reality.