Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Resumes (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=280)
-   -   Resume style for veteran (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=544316)

• Jan 15, 2011, 05:38 AM
    bsellers_04
    Resume style for veteran
    How would this resume apply to a Veteran who has been out of school for the last 7 yrs but has additional education and job experience outside of high school?
  • Jan 15, 2011, 09:05 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bsellers_04 View Post
    How would this resume apply to a Veteran who has been out of school for the last 7 yrs but has additional education and job experience outside of high school?

The resume style can be changed to fit whatever is needed. I had adapted a standard resume to work for a high school student's college application. Do you want to see a standard resume for a job seeker who has been out in the workworld for a while?
  • Jan 15, 2011, 10:08 AM
    bsellers_04
    I am looking to do the FSU application resume as well.
  • Jan 15, 2011, 10:40 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

I am looking to do the FSU application resume as well.

Can you use the one I had posted (for the FSU applicant) as as guide for yourself?

Do you want me to post a standard one?
  • Jan 15, 2011, 10:47 AM
    bsellers_04
    I can use the old one I just was curious where it all would fit on there. I don't know if giving school supplies to the local population fell under community service or employment, should I list all my medals under awards and honors, and how would you word I went and did forensic evidence collection and mortuary affairs? Does it even matter that I qualified expert on marksmanship skills every year since 2003?
  • Jan 15, 2011, 10:57 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

I can use the old one I just was curious where it all would fit on there. I don't know if giving school supplies to the local population fell under community service or employment, should I list all my medals under awards and honors, and how would you word I went and did forensic evidence collection and mortuary affairs? Does it even matter that I qualified expert on marksmanship skills every year since 2003?

You can put all or most of that on a one-page resume. I'll post a standard one in a few minutes, and we can talk about adding your specifics to it.
  • Jan 15, 2011, 11:16 AM
    Wondergirl

Set up whatever headings are appropriate for you. Here is a basic style. Vary centering or not, gold and italicize job titles, bold the headings, leave a good amount of white space --

Skills

> Offer professional-quality administrative assistant skills and excellent work ethic
    > Am proficient, loyal, thorough
    > Possess effective interpersonal and communication skills
    > Quickly comprehend new methods and procedures
    > Work well independently, and effectively within team environments
    > Possess very strong problem-solving skills
    > Have basic computer knowledge

Work Experience
    Title, Company, Location, Dates

e.g. --
    Archivist, XYZ United, Plano, TX (02/06-06/09)
    > Organized and filed photos
    > Carefully separated photo batches
    > Assigned locations for filing

Volunteer Experience

Volunteer position, Organization, Location, Dates
    > Duties

e.g. --
    Volunteer e-mailer, CatsPlus, Lima, Ohio (02/02-Present),
    > Submitted grants to non-profit organizations for Haiti relief
    > Kept charity organization in contact with supporters

Continuing Education
    Xerox College, Lima, Ohio (2008-Present)