Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Shower Hose Leaking, removed hose pipe drips (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=74141)

• Mar 20, 2007, 02:41 PM
    FLNovice
    Shower Hose Leaking, removed hose pipe drips
    Previously it was leaking at the top where shower hose goes onto the threads of the pipe at top, I wrapped the threads with teflon tape so that now that part is dry, no leaking, but the hose continues to leak at the bottom (hand held piece). I totally unscrewed the shower hose from the pipe and see that the pipe coming out of the wall is constantly dripping.
    The washers on the shower hose etc. are all fairly new as I put this up less than a year ago.
    It doesn't seem like there could be anything you could do to a shower hose that would stop leaking from the pipe.
    What about replacing washers in the 2 faucets that turn on the shower, or are most of these faucets these days washerless. Appreciate any advice.
  • Mar 20, 2007, 07:56 PM
    doug238
    The newer hand held showers have a check valve built in and they leak. The threads also sometimes crack. You may have to purchase a new one or remove the check valve. Removing the check valve is illegal.
  • Mar 21, 2007, 06:33 PM
    FLNovice
    I totally removed the shower hose from the pipe and the found out that the pipe drips. Not a lot but, about 8 or 10 oz in a day, what I don't understand is if this dripping is normal and something about a shower hose is supposed to stop it or if I need to change the washers in the faucets, it has 2 faucet handles on the wall and I am assuming they have washers and or that they might need reseating. As you can see from my name I am new at the home repair game and you're right I am trying to save money and at the same time trying to master some much needed skills around the house.
  • Mar 21, 2007, 06:56 PM
    labman
    What you need to do is shut the water off and open up the faucets. The newer washerless cartridges work about like the old ones with washers. Pry the cap off, remove the screw and handle revealing a nut. Unscrew it and the whole works comes out. If you are lucky, it will have a washer you can replace. Otherwise, take the cartridge to a good hardware store and let them help you identify the correct replacement. Hot and cold take different ones. The cartridges are much more expensive than washers, just as much work to change, and leak if you get a little dirt in them.

If the seat is bad, it will continue to leak unless you replace it. Cheaper faucets don't have replaceable seats. If you have to rip the wall out to replace it, I would go with a single handle. I find they need less maintenance.
  • Mar 21, 2007, 08:16 PM
    doug238
    Novice, what brand of faucet do you have?
  • Apr 20, 2010, 06:12 AM
    speedball1

Sumiya, Suki,
    You are both responding to a old thread that's dead. Please look in the upper left hand corner for the date. Thanks, Tom