Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Spirituality (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=305)
-   -   Are ouija boards safe? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=312056)

• Feb 2, 2009, 02:54 PM
    salamander5
    Are ouija boards safe?
    I think it would be a really cool thing to try it and I have a friend that has an ouija board but I have heard stories about bad things happening, people being possessed, yadda yadda. Some people say they're fine though. I am pretty interested in it though, and I was just wondering has anyone used one before and has it worked and has anything strange happened? Just wondering.
  • Feb 2, 2009, 03:29 PM
    tickle

Ouija boards are a lot of fun if you don't take it seriously. There is no possession, etc. If kind helpful spirits want to answer then fine, let them, be kind to them. Enter into it happy and that is what you will get out of it.
  • Feb 12, 2009, 06:27 AM
    cozyk

Ouija boards are cardboard, plastic, and a game. That's all.
  • Feb 12, 2009, 08:45 AM
    SAB123

I personally never touched one and I think those cardboard ones are a game but I have heard stories from close friends and family members that the old wooden ones are something you do not want to mess with.
  • Feb 12, 2009, 09:55 AM
    SAB123

Cocyk, I was only telling what I heard, I did not say anything that was factual. And do you have any proof saying that ouiji boards do not work.
  • Feb 12, 2009, 10:01 AM
    artlady

No they are not safe.I have personally had bad experiences with them and know others who have also.I dabbled with them as a teenager and I would never go near one again. I will not get into specifics as I still don't even care to recall the experience.

If you persist in wanting to do this arm yourself with knowledge as there are ways to attempt to protect yourself.
  • Feb 12, 2009, 10:23 AM
    cozyk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SAB123 View Post
    cocyk, I was only telling what I heard, I did not say anything that was factual. And do you have any proof saying that ouiji boards do not work.

The burden of proof lies on the one making the assertion.
  • Feb 13, 2009, 03:11 PM
    Ren6
    Rats! I have to spread more reputation around before I can give more to "cozyk"! LOL! Personally, I think the worst danger would come from accidentally leaving it out and stepping on that plastic pointer thing in the middle of the night! :D
  • Feb 13, 2009, 05:35 PM
    artlady
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ren6 View Post
    Rats! I have to spread more reputation around before I can give more to "cozyk"! LOL! Personally, I think the worst danger would come from accidentally leaving it out and stepping on that plastic pointer thing in the middle of the night! :D

It is fortunate that you have never had an experience that was unforgettable and traumatic from this so called *game*.

I'm not a psychotic and I know what happened to me and my friends was real. I am not easily influenced and have a modicum of intelligence.

Perhaps some people can *play* with these things and nothing happens.Unfortunately, there are people who have strong psychic pull and things do happen.

If you research this on line you will find many instances of the use of this *game* that are well documented with less than favorable outcomes.

I understand the cynicism but this is not a toy.
  • Feb 13, 2009, 07:07 PM
    cozyk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    It is fortunate that you have never had an experience that was unforgettable and traumatic from this so called *game*.

I'm not a psychotic and I know what happened to me and my friends was real. I am not easily influenced and have a modicum of intelligence.

Perhaps some people can *play* with these things and nothing happens.Unfortunately, there are people who have strong psychic pull and things do happen.

If you research this on line you will find many instances of the use of this *game* that are well documented with less than favorable outcomes.

I understand the cynicism but this is not a toy.

Maybe if I had more info. You aren't giving us anything to go on . I did do some research and nothing convinced me.
  • Feb 13, 2009, 09:54 PM
    artlady
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cozyk View Post
    Maybe if I had more info. You aren't giving us anything to go on . I did do some research and nothing convinced me.

Well than far be it from me to try.. we are friends who usually agree so lets just agree to disagree on this one :D
  • Feb 13, 2009, 10:20 PM
    ISneezeFunny

Honestly, I'm not a huge believer of the supernatural...

So, I'm looking at this entirely from a rational point of view. I honestly believe that a ouija board is just... that, a board. I'm sure if you started playing monopoly or chess with the notion that a spirit will communicate with you while playing this game, then I'm sure something can happen.
  • Feb 14, 2009, 09:36 PM
    Peacekelsey
    Ouija boards aren't safe for someone who isn't trained to use them. Often times untrained persons will bring a spirit through, and then the spirit may attach to them or their house and they have no idea to rid them. You will need to learn how to protect yourself with a shield (white or golden light), and know how to send the spirit to the light once you're finished conversing with the spirit. Good luck, and please be careful.
  • Feb 14, 2009, 10:36 PM
    cozyk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Peacekelsey View Post
    Ouija boards aren't safe for someone who isn't trained to use them. Often times untrained persons will bring a spirit through, and then the spirit may attach to them or their house and they have no idea to rid them. You will need to learn how to protect yourself with a shield (white or golden light), and know how to send the spirit to the light once you're finished conversing with the spirit. Good luck, and please be careful.

Oops, I mean disagree:eek:
  • Feb 14, 2009, 10:48 PM
    Peacekelsey
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cozyk View Post
    Oops, I mean disagree:eek:

Nope not kidding one bit. Actually 100% serious.
  • Feb 15, 2009, 08:25 AM
    firmbeliever

Hi Salamander5,

Ouija boards by itself are not dangerous, as it is just a board.

Even if you were to use another surface or method to call upon beings that are normally not seen by the human eye,chances are that you would not know what will happen once they have been allowed to contact you.

As supernatural/paranormal phenomenon are not always visible, you would never know if the things you hear or see is the truth.

It is a chance you take when you call upon spirits.
    I would advise better safe and not try such things as you are calling an unknown entity to enter your life,which may or may not leave and possibly cause you harm.
  • Feb 15, 2009, 08:29 AM
    tickle

There are procedures to follow when calling up spirits and these are in place to protect the person from harm. Therefore, if these are not followed, then it is entirely dangerous to pursue the mechanization of a ouija board.

However, one can always put cards down A to Z and numbers l to 0 and use up side down water glasses as the vehicle.
  • Feb 15, 2009, 08:39 AM
    ISneezeFunny

... forgive me for my ignorance, but there are actual people that believe ouija boards can conjure up spirits?

I never believed in these things, mainly because I'm more of a science person... always follow reason, evidence, etc.

I'm tempted to even try...
  • Feb 15, 2009, 08:56 AM
    asking

I'm with cozyk and ISneezeFunny.

Bad things happen to people all the time. If there was any reasonable evidence that any of it was caused by a game, somebody would have sued Parker Brothers, and the Consumer Product Safety Commission would have recalled all the Ouija boards.

The wikipedia entry on ouija boards looks good.

Ouija - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Feb 15, 2009, 07:19 PM
    artlady

Did any of you people here who profess to know what is not happening ever use this toy?