Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Nursing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   A nurse is preparing to administer methylprednisolone sodium succinate solu-medrol) 1 (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=821678)

• Feb 12, 2016, 08:31 PM
    nancylis9
    A nurse is preparing to administer methylprednisolone sodium succinate solu-medrol) 1
    Nursing field
  • Feb 12, 2016, 08:33 PM
    Wondergirl
    And? What is your question?
  • Feb 12, 2016, 09:28 PM
    J_9
    Yes, what is your question?
  • Feb 13, 2016, 02:07 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    Yes, nurses given medication.
  • Feb 13, 2016, 06:02 PM
    joypulv
    Hope you don't mean this form of succinate: Succinylcholine is a muscle relaxant. Anesthesiologists call it “sux”. It is commonly used before intubations to relax patients.
    It's a great murder weapon because it can't be detected on autopsy.

Until recently, I think, but there's only one lab in the world that knows how to detect it.
    Hospitals I think are keeping a closer eye on inventory,
    I watch too much forensic TV.
  • Feb 14, 2016, 12:35 AM
    J_9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Hope you don't mean this form of succinate: Succinylcholine is a muscle relaxant. Anesthesiologists call it “sux”. It is commonly used before intubations to relax patients.
    It's a great murder weapon because it can't be detected on autopsy.

Until recently, I think, but there's only one lab in the world that knows how to detect it.
    Hospitals I think are keeping a closer eye on inventory,
    I watch too much forensic TV.

The OP isn't talking about "sux," the OP is asking about methylprednosolone sodium succinate. More commonly known as solumedrol or Medrol Dosepak, which is a steroid used to treat inflammation.

I'm not clear, though, on what information the OP is looking for.
  • Feb 14, 2016, 01:27 PM
    joypulv
    Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    Thinking about getting an injection myself, in one shoulder that just won't get better after 10 months. Didn't know nurses got to give them.
  • Feb 14, 2016, 04:22 PM
    Alty
    I hope the OP comes back. I too would really like to know what his/her question is.
  • Feb 14, 2016, 07:09 PM
    J_9
    Quote:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    Thinking about getting an injection myself, in one shoulder that just won't get better after 10 months. Didn't know nurses got to give them.

I I give those shots all the time. It's not going to help pain in your shoulder, it's more for respiratory inflammation as found in asthma attacks, bronchitis, and pneumonia for example.
  • Feb 15, 2016, 06:24 AM
    joypulv
    Some friends have had them, some form of cortisone injection into the inflamed shoulder, with good results lasting some months. I keep hesitating because the joys of internet searches bring up sites like this.
    http://www.medicinenet.com/cortisone...mments-205.htm

(I realize that prednisone and cortisone are both steroids and that there are many forms, but do not know much about the different ones. Sorry about hijacking the post.)
  • Feb 15, 2016, 07:52 AM
    J_9
    Quote:

Some friends have had them, some form of cortisone injection into the inflamed shoulder, with good results lasting some months. I keep hesitating because the joys of internet searches bring up sites like this.
    Patient Comments: Cortisone Injection - Experience - Viewers Share Their Medical Experiences - MedicineNet

(I realize that prednisone and cortisone are both steroids and that there are many forms, but do not know much about the different ones. Sorry about hijacking the post.)

Different form of steroid altogether Joy. The particular one the OP is curious about is for respiratory type issues. It can be given intramuscular, IV, or even PO (by mouth). The steroid you are referring to is typically given right in the joint.
  • Feb 17, 2016, 07:49 AM
    LearningAsIGo
    We administer Solu-Medrol quite frequently here in my outpatient hematology/oncology clinic. I thought the OP sounded like she was presenting a 'homework' question. Ha