Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Interior Home Improvement (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   Attach stud walls to cement floor (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=51154)

• Dec 29, 2006, 09:38 PM
    David Shepherd
    Attach stud walls to cement floor
    I am putting in a wood/sheetrock wall in my basement, but don't know how to attach the wood frame/studs to a cement floor. All help appreciated.
  • Dec 29, 2006, 09:51 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Drill and use a cement fastener. Use a nail gun make to sink nails into concrete, they are powered by blanks basically.
  • Dec 30, 2006, 11:37 AM
    David Shepherd
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    drill and use a cement fastener. Use a nail gun make to sink nails into concrete, they are powered by blanks basicly.

Thanks for the quick reply, Fr. Chuck. Just so I am clear - do I need a special drill to drill into cement? And what is a cement fastner?

And if I drill holes into the cement, shouldn't I then use screws rather than nails?

(As you can probably tell, I am just a regular homeowner with no more tools than your usual hammer/saw/cordless drill. I would have to rent the nail gun or any special drill.)

Thanks much.
  • Dec 30, 2006, 02:16 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Sorry two different methods.

Yes if you drill in ( you need special drill bits and a powerful drill depending on the hardness of the concrete) then they have special screws with expansion fittings that go into the concrete .
    ** sorry I don't know the real names for these, I don't use them often

And the other option is a special nail gun ( you should be able to rent one) for some reason I ended up owning one. But it actully "shoots" a nail though the board and into the concrete. You load ( at least in my version) one nail at a time and put a blank shell in the top part, you hit the top of it with a hammer and it shoots the nail right in.

And of course my friend just glued one in, they made sure it fit vey tight from top to bottom and used speical glue so that the bottom just held between the glue and the tight fit.
  • Dec 31, 2006, 11:08 AM
    skiberger
    You can use Tapcon screws. The are blue colored screws made for masonry. The masonry bits you need will be on display next to the screws.

Or, you can by a Remington masonry gun. This shoots masonry nails and a 22caliber blank is used. They're loud (gun shot) so use ear protection and eye protection. They come in a trigger style and a hammer (wack it with a hammer) style.
  • Dec 31, 2006, 02:27 PM
    krobar
    Quote:

Originally Posted by David Shepherd
    I am putting in a wood/sheetrock wall in my basement, but don't know how to attach the wood frame/studs to a cement floor. All help appreciated.

Go to the local hardware store and buy some tapcons, buy the box that comes with the drill bit in it
  • Dec 31, 2006, 02:38 PM
    ballengerb1
    You may want to use pressure treated lumber for the base of that wall. Concrete allows some moisture through to the surface. If that surface is now covered with a pine 2x4 you can get rot and/or mold. Rot is bad but mold is worse!
  • Dec 31, 2006, 07:32 PM
    myoldhouse
    Quote:

Originally Posted by David Shepherd

Have done a couple of basement room mods since moving to PA from TX (love that extra space!) and after taking a quick look at Lowe's, decided to buy the Remington .22 nailer and appropriate power charges and nails(the hammer style, as it was only about $20 bucks a couple of years ago)-be sure you use nails specified for pressure treated lumber, and as suggested above, use that type of lumber for where you're working. In taking apart a 35-year old prior basement 1/2 bath install to make way for a full bath, I have found lots of moldy 2x4 plates that are now junk-the stuff up the wall is OK, but floor contact in an old, un-barriered concrete floor or in an area that may get occasionally wet (where's your washer? Or, possible toilet backup, etc.) just about requires use of treated stuff. As above, use ear and eye protection when using the power nailer, use a strong enough cartridge to fully drive the nails, use care when making sawdust with the treated lumber, and enjoy your new room. Good luck//dlr
  • Jun 21, 2009, 08:33 PM
    wildert
    There is a video on YouTube about framing walls, this one is for a garage but it's the same idea

YouTube - How to Frame & Insulate a New Wall : How to Frame a Corner in your Garage

Spoiler alert - they use glue - no nails or screws
  • Jun 22, 2009, 08:10 AM
    ballengerb1

Wildert, you should check the posting dates on some of what you read, this post has been quiet since 2006.