Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Death & Dying (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   I don't want a funeral or anyone to claim my body (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=636686)

• Feb 17, 2012, 03:03 AM
    pipkins007
    I don't want a funeral or anyone to claim my body
    I'm a 51 year old man . I have many illnesses and take many drugs to get by each day .For many reasons I don't want a funeral or for anyone to claim my body , what do I do
  • Feb 17, 2012, 04:04 AM
    Silver Lining
    Every one has illness at certain age. And everyone HAS to die. Today, or tomorrow. May I ask, why don't you need a funeral? What is to happen to your body after you die? Some one or the other has to claim it,, or donate it to a hospital/med school.
  • Feb 17, 2012, 04:07 AM
    ScottGem
    You create a will with specific instructions about what to do with your body after death. Use an attorney and name them as executor of your estate.
  • Feb 22, 2012, 09:17 AM
    awesomagic
    I'm going to shoot it to you honestly. Not having a funeral is very bad idea. Your family and/or friends should have the opportunity to care for you after you pass on. Funerals are not about the dead, they are about the living. These ceremonies are to bring comfort and resolution to those left behind. To deny others that comfort is to deny their right (and honor) to grieve your death properly. I urge you to re-evaluate the idea of not having a funeral. The only thing that might sway your decision from a funeral is if you have no surviving family or friends. Remember, those are who the funeral would be for. I hope you change your mind.
  • Feb 22, 2012, 10:08 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    There is no way you can do anything, after you are dead, your next of kin will have control over everything, If you do a will, normally they will not even see the will till weeks after you are already in the ground.

Next sorry but someone has ( or should) pay for you to be buried. If you want, you can pick a funeral home, pre pay and arrange exactly what you want to happen. Then tell the next of kin where to take your body after you die.

But someone has to tell them what funeral home to use and where to bury you.
  • Mar 14, 2012, 06:31 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by awesomagic View Post
    I'm gonna shoot it to you honestly. Not having a funeral is very bad idea. Your family and/or friends should have the opportunity to care for you after you pass on. Funerals are not about the dead, they are about the living. These ceremonies are to bring comfort and resolution to those left behind. To deny others that comfort is to deny their right (and honor) to grieve your death properly. I urge you to re-evaluate the idea of not having a funeral. The only thing that might sway your decision from a funeral is if you have no surviving family or friends. Remember, those are who the funeral would be for. I hope you change your mind.

Have to disagree with this - This is a personal decision. You don't want a funeral, don't have a funeral. It is unfair to argue that not having a funeral somehow hurts the people left behind. This is a very personal decision and I trust that people who make the decision have their own reasons.
  • Mar 14, 2012, 06:42 AM
    smoothy
    As was mentioned... donate your body to science... your family can have their Service.. absent a body... not sure how the schools deal with the body after they are done however. Curious about it however. Not that I would do it... but the parting gift that would help train future doctors would be a noble one.
  • Jul 15, 2012, 04:17 PM
    platnm6309
    Ok, let's say one does not want a funeral. No donations for the med hackers to train, no family members, so what does one do? Don't want to pay the $$ to the funeral directors and make them richer.. so can't I just say like for my husband, his spirit and soul are gone, so do with it as you wish... I am not going to pay the $$ cash for a cremation or funeral.. simple as that.. why should I? After all his illnesses are caused from his stint in Viet Nam, and NO way would I let the VA help, they caused the problem to begin with..
  • Jul 15, 2012, 04:18 PM
    platnm6309
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pipkins007 View Post
    I'm a 51 year old man . I have many illnesses and take many drugs to get by each day .For many reasons I don't want a funeral or for anyone to claim my body , what do I do

Can't say that I blame you. Why make the funeral directors more $$$ when all they do is rip people off. I am with you... just die and tell them to do whatever..
  • Jul 15, 2012, 04:20 PM
    platnm6309
    Quote:

Originally Posted by awesomagic View Post
    I'm gonna shoot it to you honestly. Not having a funeral is very bad idea. Your family and/or friends should have the opportunity to care for you after you pass on. Funerals are not about the dead, they are about the living. These ceremonies are to bring comfort and resolution to those left behind. To deny others that comfort is to deny their right (and honor) to grieve your death properly. I urge you to re-evaluate the idea of not having a funeral. The only thing that might sway your decision from a funeral is if you have no surviving family or friends. Remember, those are who the funeral would be for. I hope you change your mind.

Why should someone pay $$ for their friends to view a body?? The soul and spirit of the person is not there, so why blow the $$? I won't have a funeral either, what's the point?
  • Jul 15, 2012, 04:32 PM
    ScottGem
    Most areas have laws requiring a body to be disposed of properly. There are, basically, three choices; 1) burial, 2) cremation or 3) donate to science. One can specify in a will their preference, but it is up to the living to make the choice.
  • Jul 18, 2012, 04:46 PM
    goodness96151
    You do not have to have a funeral. Your corpse will have to be disposed, either cremation or burial. If you choose cremation, go to a mortuary and arrange and pay for a direct cremation. If you want to be buried, go arrange at a cemetery for that. As far as your body being claimed, not sure what you mean or why. The law says someone will have the right of disposition of your remains. If you name no one, it will be your next of kin. You can direct through a DPOA whom will be in charge. Make arrangements in writing and pay for them and legally they must be followed.
  • Jul 18, 2012, 05:14 PM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by goodness96151 View Post
    You do not have to have a funeral. Your corpse will have to be disposed, either cremation or burial. If you choose cremation, go to a mortuary and arrange and pay for a direct cremation. If you want to be buried, go arrange at a cemetery for that. As far as your body being claimed, not sure what you mean or why. The law says someone will have the right of disposition of your remains. If you name no one, it will be your next of kin. You can direct through a DPOA whom will be in charge. Make arrangements in writing and pay for them and legally they must be followed.

Please post the law concerning the next of kin being responsible for the remains as well as "legally they must be followed."
  • Jul 18, 2012, 06:16 PM
    goodness96151
    Go to your states cemetery & funeral bureau website. Ca dept of consumer affairs site has online pamphlet regarding these issues
  • Jul 18, 2012, 07:11 PM
    ScottGem
    Quote:

Go to your states cemetery & funeral bureau website. Ca dept of consumer affairs site has online pamphlet regarding these issues

We have a standard for accuracy in the legal forums. Answers must conform to established statutory law. If you refer to a law please be prepared to cite that law.
  • Jul 19, 2012, 05:33 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Then please post it - we don't know where this person lives, where the deceased lived and this is NOT the Law in NY and two other States that I researched.

I am specifically looking for a law that states the next of kin must pay for the arrangements.