Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Software (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=394)
-   -   How to format a hard drive on a dell desktop with XP home edition and no floppy drive (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=308123)

• Jan 24, 2009, 06:37 PM
    villalobc438
    How to format a hard drive on a dell desktop with XP home edition and no floppy drive
    How do I format a hard drive on a Dell Dimension 8110 with Windows XP home edition 2007 without a floppy drive? I tried to follow answers to some similar qustions posted previously on this site but when I do I get messages like "what's the disk volume label" from the command prompt window after booting the system all the way. I first tried fdisk command but that command was not recognized. What should I do?
  • Jan 24, 2009, 06:39 PM
    ScottGem

Boot to your XP CD and use that to do a clean reinstall.
  • Jan 24, 2009, 08:34 PM
    loopy123
    Quote:

Originally Posted by villalobc438 View Post
    how do i format a hard drive on a dell dimension 8110 with windows xp home edition 2007 without a floppy drive? I tried to follow answers to some similar qustions posted previously on this site but when i do i get messages like "what's the disk volume label" from the command prompt window after booting the system all the way. I first tried fdisk command but that command was not recognized. What should i do?

Try making a bootable cd, with nero, and make sure all the hardware drivers are included. Failing that, contact the manufacturer.
  • Jan 25, 2009, 11:21 PM
    villalobc438
    Quote:

Originally Posted by loopy123 View Post
    try making a bootable cd, with nero, and make sure all the hardware drivers are included. Failing that, contact the manufacturer.

Thanks loopy123! I will give it a shot and hope for the best. As for contacting the manufacturer, I tried that already and they won't help unless I pay a fee because the system's warranty's expired.
  • Jan 26, 2009, 06:50 AM
    ScottGem
    Quote:

Originally Posted by villalobc438 View Post
    Thanks loopy123! I will give it a shot and hope for the best. As for contacting the manufacturer, I tried that already and they won't help unless I pay a fee because the system's warranty's expired.

Do you have your XP CD? Or a Recovery disk?

Why are you trying to format it?
  • Jan 26, 2009, 01:21 PM
    villalobc438
    I'm formatting because my nephew downloaded a bunch of crap from the internet and I want a clean start. It's pretty slow due to all the stuff in it and nearly all of it is useless. Also want to upgrade the OS to Vista and yes, I have all the necessary disks to install the new OS.
  • Jan 26, 2009, 02:57 PM
    ScottGem

Ok, if what you want is to upgrade to Vista, just boot with your Vista CD in the drive. When it asks, tell it you want to do a clean install. This will format the drive prior to installing wiping out whatever is on there.
  • Jan 27, 2009, 04:27 PM
    loopy123
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scottgem View Post
    ok, if what you want is to upgrade to vista, just boot with your vista cd in the drive. When it asks, tell it you want to do a clean install. This will format the drive prior to installing wiping out whatever is on there.

In my humble opinion you will regret it if you use vista, to many bugs, wait until the operating system is released or try the beta version which is free on line from micrsoft.
  • Jan 27, 2009, 04:33 PM
    Curlyben
    Quote:

in my humble opinion you will regret it if you use vista, to many bugs, wait until the operating system is released or try the beta version which is free on line from micrsoft.

Loopy, I think you are confusing Vista with Windows7.

Vista was released Jan 2007 (TWO years ago) and already has a service pack for download and bug fixes.

That being said if this machine originally had XP installed I would recommend sticking with it as you may encounter hardware issues with a upgrade due to incompatibility with drivers.
  • Jan 27, 2009, 04:39 PM
    loopy123
    Correct, but like all Microsoft poducts they will be bug fixing for two more years. Look at xp they are still posting bug fixes now, and how long has xp been floating around??
  • Feb 9, 2009, 01:33 AM
    loopy123
    With all due respect to curlyben how about replying to my last posting in relation to windows xp please
  • Feb 9, 2009, 01:48 AM
    Curlyben
    Quote:

with all due respect to curlyben how about replying to my last posting in relation to windows xp please

You mean this:
    Quote:

Correct, but like all microsoft poducts they will be bug fixing for two more years. Look at xp they are still posting bug fixes now, and how long has xp been floating around???????

What's to respond to ?
    ALL software, whether it's OS or applications, have fixes posted regularly.

Show me a system that does NOT and I'll show you a company that doesn't invest in development.

Ps XP has been around since October 2001.
  • Feb 9, 2009, 01:53 AM
    loopy123
    I beg to differ because Microsoft are withdrawing any further patches etc. For win98
  • Feb 9, 2009, 02:13 AM
    Curlyben
    Win98 has End of Lifed (July 2006), hence no more development is being done.
    The same goes for Win3.1, 95, ME, NT.

What's your point here?
  • Feb 9, 2009, 02:19 AM
    loopy123

Whilst there are people using these old interfaces, because of financial constraints, support should be fgorthcoming.

If not, to quote you.
    "Show me a system that does NOT and I'll show you a company that doesn't invest in development"

Do you include Microsoft in your definition?
  • Feb 9, 2009, 02:21 AM
    loopy123
    Sorry about the spelling I forgot to proof read.:cool:

Does it matter what I do as long as people are happy with the answers I give. Everything I do has a purpose.
    Is that not the same with you?

And yes it does come naturally that is why I am so good at it. It has taken me 60 years to perfect it.
  • Feb 9, 2009, 02:22 AM
    Curlyben
    Loopy, are you being obtuse on purpose, or does it just come naturally ?
  • Feb 9, 2009, 05:56 AM
    NeedKarma
    Quote:

Look at xp they are still posting bug fixes now,

Just to correct you, most of the time it's patches to plug security holes that hackers have found and can exploit. Windows is a big target for this because it has the largest installed base by far. Macs and all Linux flavours also have regular security updates - it's normal.
  • Feb 9, 2009, 10:03 AM
    ScottGem
    Quote:

whilst there are people using these old interfaces, because of financial constaints, support should be fgorthcoming.

I disagree. Companies need to invest in future development. Old products cannot be expected to be supported forever. NO company, supports older products forever.

Quote:

does it matter what i do as long as people are happy with the answers i give. everything i do has a purpose.
    is that not the same with you?

This assume that people ARE happy with the answers. Your answers in this thread were inaccurate and misinformed.