Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Relationships (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=277)
-   -   He said he loves me and sees a furture, but needs space! (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=72398)

• Mar 15, 2007, 10:59 AM
    TarynAlane
    He said he loves me and sees a furture, but needs space!
    My ex and I have known each other for about a year. He was separated from his wife and going through a really difficult time. Around the end of November we got together-we spent christmas together with our families... and everyone saw how happy we were. We never fought once. He would always tell me how he couldn't believe that we were together and how much he loved me. He would say he couldn't wait to spend the rest of his life with me. We even had a little joke between us that we were each other peguins (because emperor peguins find one mate and stay with them for life.) Everyone would comment to us how happy we were. There were no problems. About 2 weeks ago he woke me up and said that we needed to talk he said " I love you and see a future with you, but I need some space. I can't define myself without you and I don't want to be in a relationship-There is a chance for us I just don't know" I of course asked the typical questions " Who is she?" And he said it was nothing like that. We have since gotten together a couple of times. And the first time we watched a movie and after I told him I love you and I want to be there for you but I don't know how to do this. He knows I love him more than I have ever loved before and he even told me that night that it was hard to sit next to me because all he wanted to do was hold me and be close to me... So that being said I have to wonder what is going on and how should I handle this? Will he forget about me and is there a possibility? Because I have been in relationships before but nothing like this-he is everything I always knew I wanted... and he even said that... What should I do-what could he be thinking?
  • Mar 15, 2007, 04:19 PM
    chuff
    It's hard to tell if he's seeing someone or this just started moving to fast for him after his divorce. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that you moved to fast after his divorce. That being said, I'd tell him that you understand he's still in a transition period and you respect that and his space. As a result tell him if he's still interested he can call you in 6 months when his heads a little less cloudy. Until then your going to back off and let him sort things out. Then I would do exactly that.
  • Mar 16, 2007, 08:46 PM
    talaniman
    My ex and I have known each other for about a year. He was separated from his wife and going through a really difficult time.
    Is the divorce final yet?
    Around the end of November we got together-we spent christmas together with our families... and everyone saw how happy we were. We never fought once.
    Is the divorce final yet?
    He would always tell me how he couldn't believe that we were together and how much he loved me. He would say he couldn't wait to spend the rest of his life with me. We even had a little joke between us that we were each other peguins (because emperor peguins find one mate and stay with them for life.) Everyone would comment to us how happy we were. There were no problems.
    So for the last few months you have had a whirlwind holiday season and everything is going great. Fast ,but great.

About 2 weeks ago he woke me up and said that we needed to talk he said " I love you and see a future with you, but I need some space. I can't define myself without you and I don't want to be in a relationship-There is a chance for us I just don't know" I of course asked the typical questions " Who is she?"
    The honeymoon is over and reality is back in the picture. Good bye whirlwind holiday.

And he said it was nothing like that. We have since gotten together a couple of times.
    What a drastic change from penguins to part time.

And the first time we watched a movie and after I told him I love you and I want to be there for you but I don't know how to do this. He knows I love him more than I have ever loved before and he even told me that night that it was hard to sit next to me because all he wanted to do was hold me and be close to me...
    What no sex?

.So that being said I have to wonder what is going on and how should I handle this?
    Is the divorce final yet? I ask because where has he been living and what is he doing besides backing away.

Will he forget about me and is there a possibility? Because I have been in relationships before but nothing like this-he is everything I always knew I wanted... and he even said that... What should I do-what could he be thinking?
    He's thinking about that divorce and really not all that ready for such a deep commitment that you want.

After all he is going through he NEEDS space to think of where he is headed, and as fast as your romance went ,his head is spinning and he knows he is not ready to give you what you want. Back off and let him think. If he forgets you then he didn't love you in the first place. I ask again, Is the divorce final?
  • Mar 17, 2007, 07:33 AM
    TarynAlane
    Yes the divorce was final in Jan. Part of me wants to have hope because of he was the first to say I love you, and how much he loved me. Couldn't picture his life with out me, but then left all of the sudden. But the other part of me is so hurt and confused that I just want to forget the whole thing. There is nothing I can do but wait the whole thing out and see what happens. I will admit I am scared that he won't come back!
  • Mar 17, 2007, 07:50 AM
    talaniman
    Be patient and give him time to get used to his situation, its still fresh in his mind. He has been through HELL.
  • Mar 17, 2007, 08:17 AM
    s_cianci
    You say that he was "separated from his wife." Is he divorced yet? Emperor penguins may stay with one mate for life but this man didn't so you've got to keep that in mind. He's giving you a lot of doubletalk and that's a red flag. I don't mean to be a nay-sayer and I won't tell you that all hope is lost but I'd be very wary and skeptical if I were in your shoes, regardless of how "happy" everyone seems to think you appear.
  • Mar 17, 2007, 11:03 AM
    chuff
    I don't know, I've never been divorced but I would think he shouldn't be dating for a period, maybe a year.

The reason I say that is because you've put yourself in the position of being his rebound. Intentionally or not, you were used to help him get his mind of what was really going on his life. Once the divorce was final, just 2 months ago he really didn't need that distraction anymore.

If I were you I'd forget about seeing him for a considerable period because he's not in the right mind frame to be in a relationship at this time.