Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cooking (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   I'm scared (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=406233)

• Oct 15, 2009, 08:11 AM
    excon
    I'm scared
    Hello:

Well, there I was watching America's Test Kitchen... They were testing steak, and they had a couple of high end specialty steaks in the competition... The tester said there was ONE steak that was head and shoulders above the rest... It was also the most expensive...

I bought some, and I'm about to cook one. What I'm afraid of, is I'll either be addicted to high end expensive steak, or I'm a complete fool.

How much, you ask, did I pay for these, one of a kind, once in a lifetime steaks?? $100/lb - but shipping was free.

If I don't report back, you'll know that I'm a complete idiot.

excon
  • Oct 15, 2009, 08:20 AM
    Cat1864
    America's Test Kitchen can be pure evil when it comes to temptation. Almost as bad the Food Network.

I hope the steak is worth it. :)
  • Oct 15, 2009, 09:11 AM
    KISS

Last meal?
  • Oct 15, 2009, 09:19 AM
    rankrank55

Oh I'm so curious to find out if it was worth it! Thank's for being the guinea pig excon! :D
  • Oct 15, 2009, 09:38 AM
    excon

Hello again:

Save your money. It sucked.

excon
  • Oct 15, 2009, 10:25 AM
    Cat1864
    Sorry.
  • Oct 15, 2009, 10:28 AM
    redhed35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again:

Save your money. It sucked.

excon

Sucker.
  • Oct 15, 2009, 10:56 AM
    KISS

Look on the bright side, you "stimulated the economy" by spending money.
  • Oct 15, 2009, 11:05 AM
    spitvenom

That does suck. Sorry to hear that Ex.
  • Oct 15, 2009, 11:08 AM
    excon

Hello again, spit:

Thanks, Spit, but it ain't no big deal.. I can afford it. I went for the gold ring. If you don't, you'll NEVER grab it. I've lived my whole LIFE doing that. I don't regret a thing (ceptin maybe this steak).

excon
  • Oct 15, 2009, 11:17 AM
    spitvenom

I hear you my good man. I have wasted a ton of money on top of the line purchases. Some were worth it some not so much!
  • Oct 16, 2009, 12:18 PM
    Just Dahlia
    I don't believe that I caught the name of the steak (cut of meat) that you wasted your money on?

Share please:rolleyes:
  • Oct 16, 2009, 01:57 PM
    excon

Hi Dahlia:

These were porterhouses from Brandt Beef.

excon
  • Oct 16, 2009, 06:22 PM
    twinkiedooter

Exie - You need to try Angus Beef. Yummy! Not that expensive either. Only one problem I forsee for you is that it's not available out there in Washlincoln State! It's in over abundance here in Ohiosucks state!

That is the ONLY reason I like living in this goshdarnedforsaken place - the Angus Beef. Other than that - nothing.
  • Oct 16, 2009, 06:45 PM
    artlady
    Quote:

Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, spit:

Thanks, Spit, but it ain't no big deal.. I can afford it. I went for the gold ring. If you don't, you'll NEVER grab it. I've lived my whole LIFE doing that. I don't regret a thing (ceptin maybe this steak).

excon

You can afford it ,cool!
    Next time fly me in and I will show you how it is done!

You can still take the meat and cut it up and make a stew.
    Baby carrots,mushrooms,onions.beef broth.
    Brown your fresh mushrooms well in salt pepper and garlic,until brown.
    Cut your meat in to chunks,add the shrooms and a whole onion.Or nuke your onions and then throw them in.
    Cook that and then put it in a pot with beef broth,cook again at least an hour.Carrots go in first.
    If you don't know how to do gravy add 2 cans of store bought at the very end.
    It is salvageable.
    Add ambiance :)
  • Oct 16, 2009, 06:47 PM
    rockie100

Can you call or write them to complain? I have done this once or twice and have been compensated.
  • Oct 16, 2009, 06:51 PM
    danielnoahsmommy

For that price you could have gotten Kobi beef
  • Oct 17, 2009, 04:13 AM
    danielnoahsmommy

I had noidea that they were treated poorly. Thankfuly, I do not eat beef.
  • Oct 17, 2009, 07:27 PM
    Just Dahlia
    What's up with Kobi? I have heard nothing except good, but big $$$:confused:
  • Oct 21, 2009, 05:14 AM
    shazamataz

History

The Wagyu cattle that produce the highly prized meat were introduced into Japan in the second century as work animals, used in rice cultivation. The mountainous topography of the islands of Japan resulted in small regions of isolated breeding, yielding herds that developed and maintained qualities in their meat that differ significantly from all other breeds of cattle. Resulting herd isolation and the distinctive feeding techniques put in place because of the limited land availability have lead to distinguishing features that make the meat both superior in marbling and in the ratios of unsaturated versus saturated fats.

"Kobe-style" beef
    Main article: Wagyu

The massive increase in popularity of Kobe beef in the United States has led to the creation of "Kobe-style" beef, taken from domestically-raised Wagyu crossbred with Angus cattle, in order to meet the demand. Farms in America and Britain have attempted to replicate the Kobe traditions, providing their Wagyu herds beer and daily massages with warm sake.[10] U.S meat producers claim that any differences between their less expensive "Kobe-style" beef and true Kobe beef are largely cosmetic.[11] The cattle are fed American and/or British grass and grain, which is different from the more expensive Japanese feed.[7] Cuts of American "Kobe-style" beef tend to have darker meat and bolder flavor.[12]

After all beef imports into Japan from the USA were banned on September 10, 2001, due to the discovery of Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), commonly known as Mad-Cow Disease (MCD),[13] many retailers began to heavily market the U.S. raised beef as "Kobe-style". The ban on the import of Wagyu beef from the United States ended on December 12, 2005.[14]

Kobe beef - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia