Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Tools & Power Equipment (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=334)
-   -   How to adjust valves on Ohv 16.5 briggs & Stratton (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=124858)

• Sep 1, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Tyron
    How to adjust valves on Ohv 16.5 briggs & Stratton
    I would like to know who to adjust the valves on a 16.5 briggs & stratton ohv engine.
  • Sep 1, 2007, 12:38 PM
    esquire1
    Bring the piston to TDC. Intake=.003-.005 and exhaust=.005-.007
  • Sep 1, 2007, 07:29 PM
    MOWERMAN2468
    I always go 1/4" past tdc
  • Sep 1, 2007, 07:34 PM
    esquire1
    You are correct, 1/4" past TDC
  • Sep 3, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Tyron
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MOWERMAN2468
    i always go 1/4" past tdc

I'll try that. I think I was at TDC. Is that when the exhaust valve is closing and the intake valve is opening? If so I set the exhaust at .006 and the intake at .004. But I didn't go 1/4. I'll go try that now, thanks.
    Tyron
  • Sep 3, 2007, 04:31 PM
    MOWERMAN2468
    NO NO NO, both valves are closed when you are at TDC. But remember, go 1/4" past tdc to set valves.
  • Sep 4, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Tyron
    Quote:

NO NO NO, both valves are closed when you are at TDC. but remember, go 1/4" past tdc to set valves.

Ok, thanks. I went 1/4" past and I can't seem to get the engine to turn a complete 4-stroke cycle. It always stops when the intake valve shuts at the beginning of the compression stroke.
  • Sep 4, 2007, 05:01 PM
    MOWERMAN2468
    Well when you hit compression stroke you will feel resistance. Try turning the flywheel by hand with the spark plug removed. If you still have resistance, stop, we need to look further into your problems. But I feel that it is only compression.
  • Sep 4, 2007, 05:53 PM
    ballengerb1
    I am pretty darn sure you should not feel compression with the plug removed, compression againist what. Mowerman is correct.
  • Sep 4, 2007, 07:36 PM
    Tyron
    Quote:

well when you hit compression stroke you will feel resistance. try turning the flywheel by hand with the spark plug removed. if you still have resistance, stop, we need to look further into your problems. but i feel that it is only compression.

Ok thanks, I have turned the flywheel by hand and by the starter without the plug in. It turns great until I put the plug in. I made the adjustments to the valves and still the same thing. I just replaced the starter. From the outside it looks like the one I had on it. Do you think inside, it is not strong enough to turn the engine over? I have a 16.5 hp engine.
  • Sep 6, 2007, 07:55 PM
    MOWERMAN2468
    o.k. if the valves are correct, it is probably the compression release on the cam. Even though briggs greatly improved the durability of these releases in the last 5 or so years. But I feel the valves need looked into again.
  • Apr 3, 2009, 10:50 AM
    selmore
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MOWERMAN2468 View Post
    NO NO NO, both valves are closed when you are at TDC. but remember, go 1/4" past tdc to set valves.

It took me awhile to figure out how you find top dead center.
  • Jul 3, 2009, 05:51 PM
    sirchin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by selmore View Post
    It took me awhile to figure out how you find top dead center.

I need to adjust my valves as well. Only I have a 15 1/2 hp briggs engine. Do the same rules apply, as far as the settings go? Or are they different?
  • Jul 3, 2009, 07:43 PM
    selmore
    Yes I'm assuming you have dual overhead cam. I saw a video on YouTube that explains it

Main thing I ran into is top dead center (the point where the piston is highest) is not the place to have both valves closed. You'd think it would be, it being combustion and all, but for some reason, it's a little past it where the combustion occurs.

Anyway when the vavves are closed at the wrong place there's too much compression for the starter to turn and I've burned two starters, and replaced a batttery trying to figure this out. You thunk the starter salesman otr the bgattry salesman would have known. Oh well
    Good luck