Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Office Management (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   Probation laws (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=239803)

• Jul 21, 2008, 02:18 AM
    letshegobohlolo
    Probation laws
    I've been employed by a civils and construction company as a wages clerk from 03/03/08 and was on probation for three months. Now as discussed when signing my contract, the human resource manager said I will be on probation for three months then I will be permanent there after. Now because my financial manager and I have not being seeing eye to eye,he says he wants to review my performance and commitment before he can take me as permanent. Can he do this and do I have a leg to stand on? Is this a way of dismissing me constructively? Please help, as I really need this job.
  • Jul 21, 2008, 03:05 AM
    ChihuahuaMomma
    This is totally normal. There is usually a three-six month probationary period. After which they review your performance and decide if you are the best fit for the job or if you need to search out a better job for yourself. Of course they can do this. I've never had a job where they didn't.

What exactly is it that you and your boss are not seeing eye to eye on? Is your criticism constructive?
  • Jul 21, 2008, 03:59 AM
    letshegobohlolo
    My Boss is just power hungry.He believes the more people you fire the more powerful you will be to your superious. He makes a fuss about being five minutes late,to me only but other employees is just normal to come in late and leave early just like what he normally does. My work is always up tp date and I always offer help to my colleagues if they need it. So its probably becos I'm the only black person in the company.
  • Jul 21, 2008, 10:47 AM
    ChihuahuaMomma
    Or do you think its because you are the only one on probation? I wouldn't go around assuming that he's racist just because he's harder on you. Perhaps he just expects more from you, because you are the one that set that standard.
  • Jul 25, 2008, 06:43 AM
    letshegobohlolo
    I understand your point, but workplace is about proffesionalism.I believe every employee should be treated the same regardless of how long you have been employed or the colour of your skin.
  • Jul 25, 2008, 11:30 AM
    ChihuahuaMomma
    Unfortunately, that's not the case. If you just started a job, you have to prove that you are good enough for that job. Simple as that.
  • Aug 15, 2008, 06:53 PM
    katblk63
    If you was on probation for a year and you have one more month and you have a warren out after the month was over would that warren go away
  • Aug 15, 2008, 07:24 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Unless you are employed in a union job, or have some employment contract, probation is really nothing, since they can review and fire you in most places at any time for any reason. ** based on employment in the US
  • Jun 1, 2009, 09:57 AM
    felgar
    In most companies, probationary period of employement is usually 3 to 6 months. This means that during this period, you are under the scrutiny of your superiors. Your total package as an employee, including, but not limited to, your job performance, your employee-employer relationship, your attendance and everything are under observation.
    In short, you are expected to undertake your job satisfactorily and must have shown some potentials.

Therefore, it is just proper for your superior to review your records before you get regular. If you do not met their requirements, you will be notified in writing before the 6-months probationary period ends. Good luck!