Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Member Discussions (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=487)
-   -   Now that I'm using a tablet I get why traffic is low on AMHD (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=805223)

• Nov 28, 2014, 06:15 PM
    Alty
    Now that I'm using a tablet I get why traffic is low on AMHD
    My computer died and I'm now forced to use a tablet. Since being on the tablet I've found AMHD to be extremely frustrating to use.

For instance, I was logged in looking at questions, found one to answer, spent 20 minutes writing a response, hit post only to be directed to a page telling me that I'm almost there, just a few more steps to become a member and be allowed to post.

I am a member, have been for many years. I was logged in, but for some reason the site logged me off while I was painstakingly pecking out my post. Now the post is gone, and frankly, I'm too frustrated to re-write it.

Most of the users use mobile devices. Now that I'm forced to I can honestly say, I'd give up on AMHD if my new computer weren't already on its way.
  • Nov 28, 2014, 06:19 PM
    J_9
    On a tablet you still have to check the remember me box. I am on my tablet now and I'm never logged out unless I clear my cache on my tablet or if I tap the log out button by accident.

The he tablet isn't any different than the desktop. I can just type faster on a desktop keyboard.
  • Nov 28, 2014, 06:28 PM
    Alty
    That's the frustrating part J. I usually forget to logout. I can come back days later, on my tablet, pull up AMHD, and I'm still logged in.

I didn't log out accidentally. I was logged in, spent 20 minutes pecking out a post, only to hit post and get directed to a page telling me I need to sign up as a member. Post lost.

Just posting this thread on my tablet, was not fun. I'm having a lot of sympathy for people that use this site using mobile devices. It's not easy.
  • Nov 28, 2014, 06:39 PM
    J_9
    Alty, you are new to using tablets. Many of us that use them use them all the time. It does get easier. I even post from my phone from time to time! Gasp!!
  • Nov 28, 2014, 06:54 PM
    Wondergirl
    I use my tablet almost exclusively now and have far fewer problems than when using my pc. As J_9 said, the pc keyboard does allow for much faster typing.
  • Nov 28, 2014, 07:45 PM
    Alty
    I prefer my PC. I can't wait to put this tablet in a corner and never see it again. I miss actually typing with ten fingers, not one. I miss hitting a button and it actually doing what it's supposed to do.

Have to ask WG. Is the reason you're posting less, because you're using this wonderful tablet?
  • Nov 28, 2014, 07:52 PM
    J_9
    I'm sitting in my bed right now posting on my tablet.

I do prefer the PC keyboard, I type faster, but for portability I like my tablet. I have to admit that when I first got my first tablet I was frustrated, but I got used to it. Once I got all of the settings right it's really no different.
  • Nov 28, 2014, 07:52 PM
    Wondergirl
    I post less here because there is nothing to post to or about. Many of the questions are about appliances and cars/trucks or construction. A year ago or a little longer ago, there weren't enough hours in the day to post to interesting questions. And I was using a tablet back then. I now spend much of my computer/tablet time on other Q&A sites that are much busier and easier to navigate.
  • Nov 28, 2014, 08:00 PM
    Alty
    So you do admit that AMHD is hard to navigate?

I had no problem until the computer died.

I will admit that I'm not used to the tablet, and that's part of the problem. But I also admit that once I get my new computer, this tablet will sit idle and collect dust. There are just too many things it can't do that a desktop can.
  • Nov 28, 2014, 08:46 PM
    DoulaLC
    I go back and forth... have used my phone on occasion as well. PC is definitely faster, and that is my first preference, but I do like having the accessibility of the tablet.

I've had a similar problem Alty. Will have a reply all set and then find I am no longer logged on when I go to post it. I think I get timed out. I'll copy then paste the response sometimes after I log back in. Other times I won't bother, so I can see how it may be a problem at times and could be one of several reasons for slower traffic.
  • Nov 28, 2014, 09:05 PM
    Wondergirl
    I took my tablet with me to a health-care rehab facility last Jan and Feb, would have died of boredom without it. I could check my email, tomorrow's weather (usually more snow), AMHD, played FreeCell, and read about six or eight books that I had downloaded. My roommate had TV going 24/7, so I put in ear plugs and got absorbed in my tablet. Now I'm hooked, and except for the typing thing, prefer it over my pc.
  • Nov 30, 2014, 03:18 PM
    Alty
    I don't know how to copy and paste on this contraption. I also don't have a place to type it out first so that I can save what I post, in case AMHD decides to log me out.

This is an old tablet, it's a blackberry playbook, Rod found it in the trash at his work around a year ago. Guess someone else got frustrated with it long before I did. ;)
  • Dec 1, 2014, 12:16 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    I sometimes use my IPod, but I have a external (but small) keypad for it. And it makes it easier, but yes, I find it slower and often harder to use. I do my smart phone sometimes, but with my eyesight, I seldom try it
  • Dec 1, 2014, 04:02 AM
    joypulv
    I lose posts for another reason: a question has just been moved to another category or merged with another thread.
  • Dec 1, 2014, 05:30 AM
    tickle
    Yes, it is a hole different ball park trying to access/reply on an iPad. I don't take mine out of the house anymore and only access AMHD on my laptop. It was just a hassle using the iPad keyboard and other functions for AMHD,
  • Dec 5, 2014, 02:16 PM
    cdad
    Alty, why dont you check pawn shops in your area and get a decent laptop for a backup. In my area you can get them under $200 and they can be awesome.
  • Dec 5, 2014, 02:22 PM
    ScottGem
    Check to see if the Blackberry store has some apps for text processing, then you can type offline and copy and paste. There must be a way to copy and paste.

I have my desktop, a 2 in 1 that use mostly like a laptop and a 8" tablet with a Bluetooth keyboard. All three use the Win 8 OS as does my phone. So all my calendar items, contacts, e-mails and many apps are synchronized across all devices.
  • Dec 5, 2014, 03:48 PM
    Alty
    No worries anymore. Our new/refurbished computer arrived on Monday and it's all set up. I love being back on a keyboard, typing with 10 fingers, clicking a button and it actually works. The kids are now using the tablet. :)

Cdad, I'd rather get another desktop as backup. This one cost us less than $200. It's refurbished. I'm not really a fan of laptops either, don't like the keyboard on them.
  • Dec 5, 2014, 08:24 PM
    cdad
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    No worries anymore. Our new/refurbished computer arrived on Monday and it's all set up. I love being back on a keyboard, typing with 10 fingers, clicking a button and it actually works. The kids are now using the tablet. :)

Cdad, I'd rather get another desktop as backup. This one cost us less than $200. It's refurbished. I'm not really a fan of laptops either, don't like the keyboard on them.

Well dont leave us hanging. What did you get ? How about some spec's for the tech heads here.
  • Jan 27, 2015, 02:52 AM
    paraclete
    Hi alty as recent tablet user I had the same problem but I found it can be solved with using a stylus which enables you to highlight blocks of text which is hard to do with a finger you can then use the control functions. You will find that these functions become apparent when you press ctrl