Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Family Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Do both parents have to sign off for emancipation is one is absent? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=637156)

• Feb 18, 2012, 11:30 PM
    babyballer
    Do both parents have to sign off for emancipation is one is absent?
    I'm 17 years old. My father has never really been around and my mom has always had custody. I have seen a lot. My step father whom has been the father figure in my life since I was 2 was an alcoholic and drug abuser off and on in my life. I have 3 younger siblings, and am so fed up with having to be the mom because my mom can't be one because she is to stressed or going through depressing dealing with her husband. My stepfather is not physically abusive but mentally he is. He can't get many jobs because of his criminal record and my mom just plain out "can't" get one. I have had to go without water for two months at a time at least 3 times. Without electricity, food and things I needed, such as pads and crap. My mom thinks I want to get emancipated because of my boyfriend but the truth is, I can take care of myself better than she can and I'm sick of playing mom. I have been dealing with this since I was 5. I just need to know if my father has any rights to this or if he is totally out of the picture. Help please!
  • Feb 19, 2012, 04:42 AM
    AK lawyer
    He will have to be notified of an emancipation petition. Do you really expect him to object?
  • Feb 19, 2012, 06:19 AM
    ScottGem
    First, ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

Second, Emancipation has to be approved by a court, not just your parents. And getting court approval will be very difficult. Since you are 17 it is likely that, by the time, this gets through the courts you will be 18 and the issue will be moot.
  • Feb 19, 2012, 07:17 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    Yes at 17 unless you have a job and unless you have a way to support yourself, ( not just live with a boyfriend) the court is more likely to not allow it, and even ask children services to investigate parents for child abuse ( if you have no water or food or other support)
    And they may even want to consider foster care instead.

Also with that, as noted it can take months and months to even get to court.
  • Feb 19, 2012, 09:53 PM
    babyballer
    I want to be emancipated, a family wants to take me in as a nanny could this work?
    I'm 17 years old, live in Washington State.I have 3 younger siblings, I don't want to say anything to get them put in foster care. It's not that having to be the mom because my mom can't be one because she is to stressed or going through depressing dealing with her husband is the issue. It's that my stepfather is not physically abusive but mentally he is. He can't get many jobs because of his criminal record and my mom just plain out "can't" get one. I have had to go without water for two months at a time at least 3 times. Without electricity, food and things I needed, such as pads and crap. My mom thinks I want to get emancipated because of my boyfriend but the truth is, I can take care of myself better than she can and it's effecting how I work in school.I babysit for a family and they have witnessed everything and more. I live in a small town so court wouldn't be that hard. This family I work for is willing to make a contract with me saying I am their nanny and that I will be renting out a room. Could this work for my job and living? I would be taking care of myself and still going to school just when I get home doing things she needs help with. Also, I will be 18 in November but my mom thinks it's best if I move away to another town 3 hours away. I am president of Teen Council and I volunteer through Parks and Rec like crazy. If I leave right before my senior year I loose every chance I have of getting basically a full ride to college. I have proved to almost everyone I know that I can manage on my own and they think emancipation is better for me. I just want what is better and foster care won't help me, I know, I've been their before and it only made things worse. I really need answers.. Please...
  • Feb 20, 2012, 08:38 AM
    ScottGem
    Here is a place to start:

http://www.lawhelp.org/documents/160...ateabbrev=/WA/

This has the forms and filing instructions for you. The problem is, while it lists the requirements, it doesn't define how to prove them.

Also here is the law: Chapter 13.64 RCW: Emancipation of minors

The law is vague on the point as well indicating "clear and convincing" evidence of the ability to care for oneself is needed. This means that it will be difficult to convince a court. The law also indicates that a guardian ad liteum should be appointed to investigate and report on the minor's ability to take care of themselves.

{Mod note: threads merged, please keep all follow-up to this thread}