Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Mathematics (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Traffic jam! Help! Number problems and Equations! (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=40316)

• Nov 1, 2006, 05:24 PM
    Kyo_of_Dir_en_grey
    Traffic jam! Help! Number problems and Equations!
    Ok I will be posting a lot of questions in this thread for the sake of trying not to clutter up the forums... so if you get the stuff I am talking about please stick around and help me out... I would love you forever... :p

Ok so right at the moment I am having trouble with this problem here I am normaly OK at setting them up but I can figure this one out :eek:

A larger number minus a smaller number is 18. The larger number is three times the smaller. Find the numbers.

I am also having trouble as to how to do these kinds of problems all together XD...
    3/4q-7=8

and like...
    c-5/4=3

and las but never least
    h/3-4=13

I am failing math guys ANY help would be luffed!:o
  • Nov 1, 2006, 06:42 PM
    jham_lindow
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyo_of_Dir_en_grey
    Ok I will be posting alot of questions in this thread for the sake of trying not to clutter up the forums....so if you get the stuff I am talking about please stick around and help me out...I would love you forever...:p

Ok so right at the moment I am having trouble with this problem here I am normaly ok at setting them up but I can figure this one out :eek:

I am also having trouble as to how to do these kinds of problems all together XD...
    3/4q-7=8

and like...

and las but never least

Lets start with the number problems.
    3/4q-7=8
    just add 7 to each side
    3/4q=15
    mulitply by 3/4
    and q=11.2

c-5/4=3
    add 5/4 to 3
    c=4 1/4

h/3-4=13
    multiply by 3-4
    h=3(3-4)
    distribute the 3
    h=9-12
    then subtract
    h=-3

now the word problem

A larger number minus a smaller number is 18. The larger number is three times the smaller. Find the numbers.

set it up
    x-y=18 and x=3y
    3y-y=18
    subtract
    2y=18
    divide
    y=9
    x-9=18
    add 9 to each side
    x=27
    small number 9, large number 27
  • Nov 1, 2006, 08:49 PM
    s_cianci
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyo_of_Dir_en_grey
    Ok I will be posting alot of questions in this thread for the sake of trying not to clutter up the forums....so if you get the stuff I am talking about please stick around and help me out...I would love you forever...:p

Ok so right at the moment I am having trouble with this problem here I am normaly ok at setting them up but I can figure this one out :eek:

3/4q-7=8

and like...
    c-5/4=3

and las but never least
    h/3-4=13

1. Let the numbers be represented by 3x and x. Then, 3x - x = 18 ; 2x = 18 ; x = 9 and 3x = 27 so your numbres are 27 and 9.

2. Do you mean (3/4)q - 7 = 8 or 3/(4q) - 7 = 8? Is the q in the numerator or the denominator? It's hard to tell from the way you typed the question and that'll make a big difference.

3. Same uncertainty here ; did you mean c - (5/4) = 3 or (c - 5)/4 = 3?

4. h/3 - 4 = 13
    h/3 = 17
    h = 51