Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Small Claims (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=303)
-   -   A civil then a small claim summons was left at my house but the case does not exsist? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=205919)

• Apr 14, 2008, 07:47 PM
    blackedout85
    A civil then a small claim summons was left at my house but the case does not exsist?
    Hello, About a month ago a civil court summons was left in my doorway for a credit card debt that never belonged to me. Then about two weeks ago the same law firm sent another small claims summons for the same debt.

I have been checking the court listed on the summons website list of civil and small claims cases every day since and there is nothing about this on there. I even called the civil courts clerk's office and they found nothing. The return date on the civil summons is 4/15. The return on the small claims is 4/2

Why would they pay to file these suits and pay a marshall to deliver them if there is no suit at the court house?

Any help or advise would be very helpful to me because I don't really know how to handle this.
  • Apr 14, 2008, 09:43 PM
    ArielR
    We had something similar where we had a garnishment on my mother's wages, but when we went to the court to get them stopped, they said the case did not exist. It took a bit of tracking down, but we discovered it was a case at a /different/ court. Up here, at least, the courts don't communicate in an easily-accessable way.

We had to ask the clerk to track down which court the case was registered at before we could do anything. That's the best thing I can suggest.
  • Apr 16, 2008, 07:11 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackedout85
    Hello, About a month ago a civil court summons was left in my doorway for a credit card debt that never belonged to me. Then about two weeks ago the same law firm sent another small claims summons for the same debt.

I have been checking the court listed on the summons website list of civil and small claims cases every day since and there is nothing about this on there. I even called the civil courts clerk's office and they found nothing. The return date on the civil summons is 4/15. The return on the small claims is 4/2

Why would they pay to file these suits and pay a marshall to deliver them if there is no suit at the court house?

Any help or advise would be very helpful to me because I don't realy know how to handle this.

Posted twice - gets confusing.

Never ignore and summons and I never trust a website list. Go to Court, appear, ask what's going on. If you don't appear and this goes to Judgment you'll spend the next ten years trying to straighten it out.

If it is not your debt you have to appear with that defense. Have you contacted the law firm? Some are more debtor friendly than others.

I would think they would pay to file them and pay a Marshall because they think they are on the calendar.