Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dogs (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Poor Baby has Fleas (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=153269)

• Nov 17, 2007, 11:30 PM
    ChihuahuaMomma
    Poor Baby has Fleas
    How can a puppy get fleas without ever being around other dogs or going outside?
  • Nov 18, 2007, 12:04 AM
    charlotte234s
    Your dog never goes outside?

Where did the dog come from?
  • Nov 18, 2007, 12:06 AM
    ChihuahuaMomma
    What do you mean where did she come from? And no she doesn't go outside unless she is being carried. It's too cold outside for her to go on walks.
  • Nov 18, 2007, 12:09 AM
    charlotte234s
    I mean where did you get her from?

Is she a new puppy, 'cause she may have gotten fleas from wherever she came from.

She has to be on the ground when she goes to do her business, that's probably where she got the fleas. She also could have gotten them from any other place you take her, other dogs, exploring in unknown places, a multitude of things. You'll have to probably deflea your entire home anyway if she has them now, so it's hard to determine where exactly she got the,
  • Nov 18, 2007, 12:11 AM
    ChihuahuaMomma
    I got her from a breeder. She didn't have fleas when I got her. I got her about 5 months ago. She's nearly eight months old now.

She is not on the ground when she does her business, she is on the floor. She has a pee pad in the corner of the spare bedroom.
  • Nov 18, 2007, 12:11 AM
    charlotte234s
    Hm, that's really strange. Do you take her anywhere where there are other dogs?
  • Nov 18, 2007, 12:13 AM
    ChihuahuaMomma
    What's really strange?

She goes to my mother in law's house, they have three small dogs as welll... none of those dogs have fleas, that was the first source that we checked...
  • Nov 18, 2007, 12:15 AM
    charlotte234s
    It's strange that she got fleas and doesn't go outdoors, that's usually where dogs pick up fleas..

I really have no idea past those things where she got them, that's very weird!
  • Nov 18, 2007, 12:16 AM
    ChihuahuaMomma
    I know... I asked my vet, and she is saying the same thing...
  • Nov 18, 2007, 12:17 AM
    charlotte234s
    Well maybe she went on an adventure when you weren't looking hahaha.

Either way, poor pup, hope her flea problem gets cleared up soon!
  • Nov 18, 2007, 12:19 AM
    ChihuahuaMomma
    She can't get outside without someone knowing about it. We live in a second story apartment. UGH! This is so frustrating. She could not have had them that long...

The only thing that I can think of is that someone came over and brought fleas from their home or work or friend's home with them.
  • Nov 18, 2007, 12:21 AM
    charlotte234s
    Ewwwww, I hope not!
  • Nov 18, 2007, 12:22 AM
    ChihuahuaMomma
    LOL... they do get onto people too...
  • Nov 18, 2007, 12:23 AM
    charlotte234s
    I know, but I would hope someone would notice and take care of it if they had it and they were to the point they were jumping off on people's pets. =P
  • Nov 18, 2007, 12:24 AM
    ChihuahuaMomma
    This is true... LOL!
  • Nov 18, 2007, 05:52 AM
    labman
    Chances are somebody else in the building has a dog or cat with fleas, and it would be fairly easy to spread into your apartment. You need to get her on a good flea remedy, Revolution, Advantage, Frontline, etc. Talk it over with your vet. You will also need to treat the apartment with something that kills both fleas and eggs.
  • Nov 18, 2007, 04:14 PM
    ChihuahuaMomma
    Thanks Labman, that is the plan for Monday... she has to visit the vet for shots tomorrow, so we are doing the flea bath too... I would too afraid to do any treatment on her myself because she is so small, I wouldn't want to to over do it. And we are flea bombing the house, definitely!
  • Nov 23, 2007, 08:01 PM
    puppyperson1912
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    How can a puppy get fleas without ever being around other dogs or going outside??

Fleas can travel from underneath your house and floors just to get to the puppy I own 7 dogs, and one had recently had puppies now that they can see we placed them at my daughter house and she does not own any dogs and the porr things got fleas. So we noticed they were coming from nowhere they came from diffeent dogs in the neighborhodd so get a flea collor and spray around the floors and corners of the house.
  • Nov 23, 2007, 10:54 PM
    casper07
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    How can a puppy get fleas without ever being around other dogs or going outside??

I saw on t.v that fleas can come from anywhere outside like you shoes jackets socks anything I'm not shure if its true but I hope it helps:)
  • Nov 23, 2007, 11:18 PM
    ChihuahuaMomma
    She has been flea treated and the apartment was flea bombed. Thanks all the help!