Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Pregnancy & New Motherhood (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=262)
-   -   Trying to get pregnant, no luck, next step is hormones? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=118346)

• Aug 10, 2007, 11:01 AM
    macksmom
    Trying to get pregnant, no luck, next step is hormones??
    Hey, so my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for awhile now... I do everything... ovulation tests, BBT, charting, etc... no luck. Both of us have been tested and are fine (I have a 5-year-old from a previous relationship). He has no children. I have crazy irregular periods... but my doctor has checked all my hormones through bloodwork and everything seems to be fine.

So she told us if we got frustrated and couldn't get pregnant she would put me on hormones to make me ovulate.

So I am thinking about setting an appt and starting that... :eek:

My question is, has anyone else been on hormones like these? Are there different types? Pros cons, what kind of questions should I ask my OBGYN? How successful are these hormones?

Any input, experience, advice would be great!

THANKS!:D
  • Aug 10, 2007, 11:13 AM
    rankrank55
    First of all, it's great that you and your hubby both tested to be normal! Good sign! Try doing some stress relieving tecniques throughout the day; stress can really influence your chances of conceiving. Clomid is a really popular oral fertility drug that induces ovulation. This webstie tells all about it: Clomid - Clomiphene Citrate - Fertility Drugs and Medications
  • Aug 10, 2007, 11:23 AM
    macksmom

Yeah about a year ago we started trying but I hadn't had a period in 2 years! I know! But I wasn't trying to get pregnant in those 2 years so I wasn't going to go to the doctor and beg for a period! I was enjoying not having one.
    Well when we first started trying about a year ago we went to the doctor and she thought I may be in early menopause (I'm only 24)!! But luckily the tests came back normal. So she started me on Prometrium so I would have a period. But then we set a wedding date, so I decided to start birth control pills. (I don't seem to have a period unless I am on some sort of medication). Well this March we decided to stop the pills and try again, and I decided to try without any meds... well I didn't have a period for 5 months :( BUT I did have my first period, non-medicated, a few weeks ago!! :):)

So we got hope up again :)

We decided since I finally had a period on my own without meds, we would try for a few months, but we are anxious, so my OB said she would start me on hormones to induce ovulation (in case I'm not ovulating)... I just have heard there are some oral, some injectable, etc. I don't know what she has in mind to start me on, so I just want to be somewhat prepared when I go into the office.
  • Aug 10, 2007, 11:29 AM
    rankrank55
    From what I've read, Clomid seems to be very handy because it can be taken orally. I've also read a lot of success stories from users of Clomid. Your doctor will know which is best for you. Hopefully it will work out for you! Have intercourse every other day throughout your cycle, the first time I did that I became pregnant(ended in miscarriage sadly but trying again.) Good luck to yah!