Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Women's Health (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=357)
-   -   Dieting and diarrehoa (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=118128)

• Aug 9, 2007, 03:08 PM
    melissa1
    Dieting and diarrehoa
    Right first of all I have wrote posts on here before concerning my periods as it is now a year and still no period I have been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and have been on medication for that since January, firs the past 16 days I have been dieting and exercising to see if that will bring back my periods but now every time I eat a meal I get diarrehea within 10mins of eating with really bad stomach cramps and sickness at first I thought maybe I am pregnant as this happened to me the first time I was pregnant I did a hpt yesterday morning but was negative I was just wondering if the medication I am on to control my thyroid could interfere with the pregnancy test the medication is called levothyroxine or if this could be something completely different
    Any help would be appreciated thanks
    Also where the periods are concerned I have now been referred to the fertility clinic at last!!
  • Aug 9, 2007, 03:15 PM
    rankrank55
    This website states that levothyroxine overdose can cause vomiting and diarrhea... check it out: Levothyroxine Information from Drugs.com Take care of yourself for now by drinking Gatorade to replenish electrolytes and call your doctor ASAP.
  • Aug 9, 2007, 03:20 PM
    melissa1
    I haven't taken an overdose just one tablet a day
  • Aug 9, 2007, 03:22 PM
    GlindaofOz
    You may be taking too much for your body. Often times doctors will over prescribe in hopes of giving you what you want - to get the symptoms to go away.

Go to a different doctor and have your thyroid rechecked. Go to a an endocrinologist.
  • Aug 9, 2007, 03:25 PM
    melissa1
    I am on the lowest amount prescribed 50mg just had my throid gland rechecked last week and it is fine now but will need to be on the tablets the rest of my life
  • Aug 9, 2007, 03:31 PM
    rankrank55
    That's what I was thinking Glinda... but since she is taking the lowest dosage available... hummm
  • Aug 9, 2007, 03:32 PM
    melissa1
    So do you not think its anything to do with my dieting or exercising??
  • Aug 9, 2007, 03:33 PM
    rankrank55
    I don't think so... I think it has to do with your medication.
  • Aug 9, 2007, 03:36 PM
    GlindaofOz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa1
    i am on the lowest amount prescribed 50mg just had my throid gland rechecked last week and it is fine now but wil need to be on the tablets the rest of my life

Yes I know I have thyroid disease as well. Trust me this stuff is confusing.

However having stomach problems like that is a cause for concern. I would get to the doctor to make sure nothing else is going on.
  • Aug 9, 2007, 03:37 PM
    melissa1
    I don't understand I have been taking this medication since January and everythin has been fine up until like 10days ago
  • Aug 9, 2007, 03:38 PM
    GlindaofOz
    Are you taking any supplements, vitamins or anything like that.

I don't think its related to the medicine. I've been taking that same medication for over 18 years and never had that problem.
    melissa1
    Do these tablets interfere in your hcg levels
    melissa1
    Not taking anything else at all
    GlindaofOz
    I don't know what that is
  • Aug 9, 2007, 03:39 PM
    GlindaofOz
    If your not taking anything else I would get to the doctor. Diaherrea is no joke especially for 10 days.
  • Aug 9, 2007, 03:40 PM
    melissa1
    It only happens when I eat a meal
  • Aug 9, 2007, 03:40 PM
    melissa1
    Hcg is the hormone that detects pregnancy!
  • Aug 9, 2007, 03:42 PM
    rankrank55
    Hcg is a pregnancy horomone.
  • Aug 9, 2007, 03:42 PM
    rankrank55
    What about IBS?
  • Aug 9, 2007, 03:44 PM
    melissa1
    What causes that?